• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Filter Fitting Adapter MEP-805a

stkcode

Hi there! 8)

I recently acquired an MEP-805a. I've been able to get most of the missing parts for it, but there is one where the public nsn lookup appears to be incomplete. When I bought the gen set, all fluids and filters where gone. Unfortunately, who ever discarded the fuel filter, discarded the fuel drain assembly along with it.

The missing part in question is part number is 88-22734, adapter, fuel fitting (fig. 13 from the parts manual). I cant even find the spec data for this fitting, so I can't tell if it's made of aluminum or brass, etc. It looks like (from the very small diagram image) that it is a small t-fitting? Threaded at one end and possibly smooth bore where the bolt passes through?

It's basically a special 3/8" bolt (with holes in it), followed by an nbr washer, then this mystery adapter fitting, then another nbr washer and is screwed into the bottom of the fuel filter. An Eaton Weatherhead 131-60408 valve screws into the mystery fitting, which then ties into the overflow system. So, basically rather then the fuel being drained onto the fuel tank in the generator, it's drained into the overflow system.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
John

LuckyDog

After looking at the parts manual, My best guess is to fab one yourself.
It looks like a piece of brass, two drill, and the correct tap is all that is needed.

The part is not available in the military stock system. Gotta love the COTS system. :mad:
Have you tried contacting the Manufacturer of the machine? Should be listed on the data plate.

LuckyDog

There isn't any listed.
88-22734 is a sort-of part number. It is controlled by DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE PROJECT MANAGER-MOBILE ELECTRIC POWER. ( CAGE: 30554)

The Engine is a John Deere 4039T. But, from the looks of the parts manual, the fitting in question (along with the bolt and washers) is a military modification. The fuel filter is shown but not listed as a part available.

If he doesn't want to fab one to keep it military, he could just go to a JD dealer and get the original bolt that fit in the filter assembly.

Just what I was able to find with my access.

stkcode

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of contacting the generator manufacture. I'll take a look at that. Unfortunately, my id plate is missing, but these generators where only made by Libby or Fremont, so it really shouldn't matter which one I contact. Your right though. I'm probably going to have to get a 3/8" brass tee and drill out the threads, unless I just get really lucky and find a spare one on the surplus market.

I found the manual is pretty much useless for the filters. Almost all the filter's listed aren't around. Although, I found the 6059T from an MEP-806a manual appears to use the same filters as 4039T. The fuel filter I have is the John Deere RE62418. It comes with a plastic threaded cap with spout on the bottom.

I'm not sure if it's a banjo fitting or not. Since there is no spec data available for the missing tee, although in the parts manual, it does look like an npt brass fitting you'd get at the local hardware. I assume (ass-u-me) that it doesn't have any threads where the bolt goes through. Just where the drain valve screws in.

stkcode

Would would if I had them. There in lies the problem. Since I don't have the Weatherhead fitting, it appears to be a tee, with a hole large enough that a 3/8-16 bolt pass through it, at the tee top, with either a 1/4" or 3/8" npt threaded end for the Weatherhead fitting. The top of the tee should not be much longer then 1", since the special 3/8" bolt that goes through it, with the 2 nbr washers, is 1.5" long.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks