• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Napa 90W gear oil

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey,
Have any of y'all used the Napa 90W GL1 gear oil in your diffs or t-case? I found a good price on some in the 5 gallon pail at my local store. It might be a little thick for a tranny in winter, but I would think it would be OK for diffs or t-case. Since I need 11 gallons of the stuff, I figure it would be a good way to go. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.
Chris

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Warren brand of GL-1 and have no problems with it at all. NAPA stuff should be par with the Warren stuff.

jwaller

I used the napa GL1 when I first got my truck bc I was wary of synthetics and napa was the only place I could find GL1. I have since switched to pure Mobil 1 in all axles cases and the trans. I had no problems with the napa stuff but I preferred to switch to the modern fluids for mpg's as I drive mine quite a lot.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Jed, I had seen that post before, very helpful.

API GL-1 : Non-additive lubricant oil for mid level service conditions spiral-bevel, spiral, chronic endless gear type differential and some plate gearboxes.

It would seem that my differentials and t-case could fall under this definition since they won't see heavy-duty conditions (ie-fully loaded, towing, loaded/towing off-road). Am I reading that right?

red devils dude

the thing is when most of these truck came off the assembly line they got MIL-L-2105 which
is a GL-4 see(MIL-L-2105 : Former specification equal to API GL-4 performance level).

acetomatoco

What is "most of these trucks" ? GL1 is the oil of choice for gear boxes on "most of my trucks" ACE btw.. it is a lot cheaper at the farm tractor stores than at NAPA most of the time...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My question wasn't really "What did they come with?" it was more "Will GL1 90W work safely as an alternative?" I'm sure I could prolly order pails of 80W90 GL4, but if GL1 will work and it's on the shelf, then I'll use it. I appreciate the technical data Jed.

Rattlehead

When I first changed out all the fluids in the deuce, I put in some 90w GL-1 in the trans and the t-case, GL-5 in the axles since it offers EP additives and there's no synchros to worry about. Afterward, the trans was VERY hard to shift if I had been on the highway for an hour or two. Ended up putting in some MT-1 gear lube and that solved the hard shifting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks