• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

National WWII Museum's PT305 Done!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It runs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswuzFPpNks

Yours truly had a part in the story. After the Defenders of America Naval Museum finished the PT309 restoration (presently on display at the National Museum of the Pacific War), we were rarin' to go on another boat. We found 305 being used as an oyster dredge in Tilghman Island, Delaware. We spent weeks up there getting her ready to come home (picture). After an aborted attempt to sail her under her own power, she made the trip to Galveston Texas on a trailer (picture). Later the museum fragmented and we transferred the boat to New Orleans. They did a great job!

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You Sir for helping to take care of her! :)

She is back home where she was born and belongs. She was built right here on Lake Ponchartrain by Andrew Higgins Shipyards next to the assembly lines producing the Higgins landing crafts that helped turn the tide in WWII. That is another amazing story.

While an oyster boat they chopped something like 16ft off her to meet some regulations as she was being used. BTW, The world's best oysters are also home here :)

She was stripped, every rivet on her side replaced and the 16 ft put back to get her to original design and specifications. Parts where sourced world wide and what was needed was manufactured to her original design. Some things had to be changed in order for her to be Coast Guard Certified but the true lady is still in there. The whole time she was being refurbished under public display. Lucky museum tours where able to walk in the building during the process. Some folks would watch from outside through the glass windows.

I was honored to know some of the volunteers that worked on her and got to get up close a few times on tours. A few Boy Scouts also made their Eagle Service projects on working on the PT. She is now back in the waters that spawned her giving well healed visitors boat tours to further enhance the mission of the museum. I understand there will also be a mini museum at the Lake Ponchartrain berth for her.

Quite a boat, history, designer, Factory, and awesome NAVY!

NDT, I hope you get to N'awlins to see her and I will be glad to buy you lunch with real Oysters!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks