• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a CARC paint shop in Colorado

Orionthehunter

Hello all

I need help finding a shop to paint my 1009 with the original paint and do some minor body work - in or around Denver, Colorado. Anyone know someone? The typical paint and body chain stores wont touch the CARC paint.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a good reason, the stuff is hazardous to your health! Seriously, if you are sanding or blasting it, you need a contained breathing apparatus to avoid inhalation.

Do you HAVE to use CARC? A lot of us have had good luck with Behr or other paint that matches the original, but isn't going to give you cancer.

Orionthehunter

Bikeman

I guess I dont need to use the original paint type but even with an alternate paint, I am having trouble finding a shop to work on it because it is an "old" vehicle. At least at a reasonable cost.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bikeman

I guess I dont need to use the original paint type but even with an alternate paint, I am having trouble finding a shop to work on it because it is an "old" vehicle. At least at a reasonable cost.
Find the Behr paint threads, there's a few of them (and yes I know the Search on here isn't the best). Most of us have just used the Harbor Freight or similar paint sprayer, mix in some water or flowtrol or something to thin the Behr out, and just spray. Mine created a very nice, CARC feeling. Home Depot is the best bet for matching colors. You just use the Federal Standard # as the paint name, make sure it's flat, and go from there. your investment will be a few hundred bucks at max, or about what you'd pay a shop.

Orionthehunter

Find the Behr paint threads, there's a few of them (and yes I know the Search on here isn't the best). Most of us have just used the Harbor Freight or similar paint sprayer, mix in some water or flowtrol or something to thin the Behr out, and just spray. Mine created a very nice, CARC feeling. Home Depot is the best bet for matching colors. You just use the Federal Standard # as the paint name, make sure it's flat, and go from there. your investment will be a few hundred bucks at max, or about what you'd pay a shop.
anyone know of a private or mom/pop shop in denver that would do the paint and body work for me?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bikeman

The question is what is "a reasonable cost?" Painting a vehicle now days at a body shop, will be expensive unless you know someone.

aleigh

I kind of wish this story about CARC being unusually dangerous would die off. Spraying the modern WD (water dispersed) CARC II isn't really any worse than spraying any other automotive 2K paint with an isocyanate based hardener. Forced air or a 3M filter rated for isoc will do the job fine - 3m made exactly one filter for this the last time I was buying. Also the problem is not "cancer", it is that the isoc's bind up in your lungs and decreases your ability to uptake O2. Enough exposure will kill you. Lots of non-carc automotive paints use isocyanate hardeners, this is not not not a CARC-specific issue. Any paint shop that can work a 2K paint can safely handle CARC.

The dust from WD-CARC-2 also isn't any more dangerous than breathing in other automotive paint dust - you shouldn't be doing that either. The only weird thing about CARC paint is it does release harmful gasses if you weld it, which is clearly called out in the materials. So either sand around the area to be welded or the welder needs to wear a gas mask.

What CARC is - is an absolutely fantastic finish, particularly if the equipment is going to experience rough handling. I've personally painted 2 jeeps and a trailer so far and the results are outstanding. I couldn't be more pleased. Good luck finding a shop that will do it - someone will I am sure. Ask around the places that do "overlanding" rigs and that kind of thing. They'll know a paint shop that is used to working with weird vehicles. You can also call the big Unimog shop over there. I'm sure they'll know a guy with a booth who will spray it. Everyone needs money. That's why they call it money.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to venture out to Norfolk, NE, my parents-in-law's shop in Norfolk can do anything from classics to semis in terms of body work and we are certified to spray most industrial coatings including CARC (we do that for some for some of the guard equipment as well as county and state equipment).......

Z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks