• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a standby genset what to buy ?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel keeps for a long time, just add some Bio-cide and no worries long term.
Diesel ~used to keep for a long time. The unblended diesel still does if you treat it with a biocide so the black algae won't grow.

Here in Progressive Oregon though, most of the diesel sold is 15% biodiesel. Which is just wonderful, all puppies and rainbows except for the fact that the bio component starts oxidizing right away and becomes a noticeable problem after six months.

I have spent a couple days researching the issue and have come away convinced that there isn't an additive on the market that will stabilize biodiesel. It works great if you turn the tanks over every six months but not suitable for a generator fuel.

The alternatives are kerosene, and finding a source of unblended diesel. It is still available as home heating fuel in the Portland area, but in the southern part of the state, only 15% blended fuel is available.

Propane, that will last and stay stable until the tank rusts through and it leaks out.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 10k diesel mounted on a trailer......it will run the whole house if needed but is way too much for just portable power around the farm.If you run too light a load on it it can "wet stack" and cause engine issues.For light loads I use the 5k gas burner that the Boss Lady got from Tractor Supply.The 10k has a two cylinder Onan engine and sucks fuel when ran very long.If you are planning on using it for emergency power for the house you will need a disconnect switch to keep from back feeding the power grid. Back feeding can kill someone working on the grid and you don't have enough insurance to cover that happening if you hot wire your system.You can find out local requirements from your power provider.
WM has it down pat. A TRANSFER SWITCH IS JUST AS IMPORTANT THAN YOUR GENERATOR. This can, will and have saved life's. Automatic or manual what ever generator you buy make sure you match up a transfer switch.

Thats my 2 cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks