• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice on restoring and work to do on '86 CUCV blazer

Jahsbsh

Hello!

I'm new to this site and I wanted to ask some questions about the CUCV blazer I will be getting sometime in the next month. What are some things that I should do that makes the CUCV run better, last longer, easier to manage (i.e. mods for starting up car). Also, what are some things I can do to restore it as I'd like to get it in pristine condition? Tips, advice on where to buy CARC paint, how to get rid of rust etc. Thanks to all help!

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
The answers to all your questions are right here on Steel Soldiers. First, download all the free Technical Manuals (TMs) https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/cucv-tms.114/ . Second, invest the time and effort to read these TMs and make notes of the sections and pages which you can refer back to for the specific things to work on. Third, go back through this forum and the other CUCV Modification forum and read, read, read. All of this will take time. When finished, many of your questions will be answered.
There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site. Based on my experience, they don't like to answer the same questions over and over again. Do your homework and you will gain their trust and assistance. Then you can ask the difficult questions which may not have been asked before.
I was in the same situation as you 10 years ago when I acquired my M1028 with 12,338 miles. As I am writing this, I am still working on it. It now has just over 15,000 miles. My project has been quite the adventure to say the least.
Hope this helps.

Jahsbsh

Welcome to the forum.
The answers to all your questions are right here on Steel Soldiers. First, download all the free Technical Manuals (TMs) https://www.steelsoldiers.com/forums/cucv-tms.114/ . Second, invest the time and effort to read these TMs and make notes of the sections and pages which you can refer back to for the specific things to work on. Third, go back through this forum and the other CUCV Modification forum and read, read, read. All of this will take time. When finished, many of your questions will be answered.
There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site. Based on my experience, they don't like to answer the same questions over and over again. Do your homework and you will gain their trust and assistance. Then you can ask the difficult questions which may not have been asked before.
I was in the same situation as you 10 years ago when I acquired my M1028 with 12,338 miles. As I am writing this, I am still working on it. It now has just over 15,000 miles. My project has been quite the adventure to say the least.
Hope this helps.
Thanks! I have the TMs already in hard copy, they come with the car. Do you have any other things that I could do??? Thanks again

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome!

The first thing you need to know is that it's not an '86. It's an 84. It doesn't matter what the paperwork says, it's an 84. The Army didn't want to have the logistics nightmare of trying to keep up with model year changes, so they mandated that all CUCVs be built as 1984s. This is not just being nitpicky. You need to know the correct model year when you are buying parts. Don't buy parts for an 86. Some will work, some won't. You want parts for an 84.

cucvrus

Hello!

I'm new to this site and I wanted to ask some questions about the CUCV blazer I will be getting sometime in the next month. What are some things that I should do that makes the CUCV run better, last longer, easier to manage (i.e. mods for starting up car). Also, what are some things I can do to restore it as I'd like to get it in pristine condition? Tips, advice on where to buy CARC paint, how to get rid of rust etc. Thanks to all help!
Get a nice dry place and lots of tools. Let the fun begin. I been there several times. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/1986-cucv-m1009-decade-after-being-wrecked.173878/

Good Luck. Let me warn you it gets expensive to do it right. I recommend removing the body from the frame. Be Safe.

Jahsbsh

Get a nice dry place and lots of tools. Let the fun begin. I been there several times. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/1986-cucv-m1009-decade-after-being-wrecked.173878/

Good Luck. Let me warn you it gets expensive to do it right. I recommend removing the body from the frame. Be Safe.
One more thing, I see you've done it before. Luckily mine won't need that amount of work because it hasn't been wrecked. Do you know anything about making the engine compartment run and look as if it's right out of the factory? Thanks!

cucvrus

You mean like that? That comes with a lot of sweat and toil. But I still recommend you remove the body from frame. The M1009 is notorious for hiding rust in the rea floor rea and is almost impossible to get clean and properly coated while still in place. I have a 12K M1009 in my barn for 25 years that is clean as new on the underside. A few cobb webs and that is about all. Good Luck. But to do it right you will need to disassemble it . clean. and paint everything piece by piece.

Attachments

Jahsbsh

You mean like that? That comes with a lot of sweat and toil. But I still recommend you remove the body from frame. The M1009 is notorious for hiding rust in the rea floor rea and is almost impossible to get clean and properly coated while still in place. I have a 12K M1009 in my barn for 25 years that is clean as new on the underside. A few cobb webs and that is about all. Good Luck. But to do it right you will need to disassemble it . clean. and paint everything piece by piece.
And are there any videos on how to do that at home? How long does it tend to take?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks