• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need dimensions for 16x16 Military tent frame

Bryanbdp

So I've been busy welding up my tubing support brackets. I bought a bunch of 1.33 OD galvanized pipes used for green houses.
1.5" OD .083 wall DOM steel tubing fits over the 1.33 pipe nicely.
I bought a cheap Harbor Freight tubing notcher and a good 1.5" carbide tooth hole saw and proceeded to make a ton of notches in my tubing.
20240330_114148.jpg
For a $50 tool it worked pretty well. Cut all the notches with one hole saw! Used a little oil to lubricate.
I cut the pieces off the tube after notching, otherwise the pieces would be too short to hold in notching tool!
20240330_114332.jpg
Next I created some angle jigs from 2x10 material to help fixture the notched pieces. I drilled a 1.5" hole to accommodate the center connectors, which have bosses protruding to both sides, so one side goes through the hole when fixturing. These simple fixture worked well. I place a few tacks to hold everything, then fully weld.
20240330_181935.jpg20240330_173948.jpg
jig for side wall to roof support
center jig.jpg
jig for center top peak connector

20240331_130722.jpg

rounding ends of pins using drill and grinding wheel

wall end connector.jpg
wall end connector welded and pin installed

20240406_170850.jpg

center roof peak connector with pin, fully welded.
foot center.jpg
center foot with stake hole, this tube in angled to the flat foot.

foot end wall.jpg

end wall foot

20240406_190821.jpg
end wall center connector with linch pin holes drilled, ready to finish.
cross brace bracket.jpg
These go on peak support pipes and allow attachment of peak support bracket (horizontal)

I bought 50 linch pins to hold everything together from Tool Tuff direct.
1712455630823.png

Next steps are to check fit of all sockets and use grinding wheel to open up any distorted bores.
Then I plan to use a hot bath to black oxide coat all the brackets to give them a final finish.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks