• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help Deciphering BMY M928A2 VIN

GIJoeCzar

Recently received my M928A2 and want to apply for the SF97 - BUT, I could use help deciphering the identification number. The VIN literally reads "28/00102"; does that look correct or was the "/" meant to be a "7"? If it's correct as is it would make sense (28 represents M928 and 00102 represents the 102nd truck built). OR is this really 28700102? Please let me know if you can share insight.

Truck starts, runs, and drives great; overall I feel quite fortunate. Only body issue is hood, and I have a new one on the way. Rear CTIS is disconnected, and I'll likely remove the entire CTIS system. Gear lube leaking from right forward rear axle CTIS port, which leads me to believe that the o-ring is shot and the CTIS is pressurizing the entire axle literally pushing the gear lube out at the point of least resistance. HAWKER batteries are nearly new. Tires are new all the way around. Winch works perfect and both doors are brand new. ALL fluids appear to be new, but I'll have the oils tested and change the filters regardless. This will be a fun project.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help with the VIN anyone can provide.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the purchase. My M931A2 vin is 31/00831, when it got titled, the DMV left off the slash, so now the title reads 3100831 as vin.

toddm

Looks like a nice truck Joe, sorry I can't help you out with your problem. By the way my M35A2 I bought from you was an excellent purchase. Even though I thought my wife was going to shoot me for awhile after I picked it up from you. She finally settled down and she likes the truck now.

Attachments

GIJoeCzar

NDT - thanks for the info; you just answered my question. I now live in San Antonio, so I'd like to hook up at a show or rally sometime. Have you maintained your CTIS or disconnected it?

Todd - Very happy to hear that you still like the truck; it's the best M35A2 I've ever owned. Air assist steering looks great and I'm quite happy your wife has warmed up to the idea.

Joe

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, My CTIS is not connected. You are in a great area, the San Antonio MV collectors/ Steel Soldiers are an active bunch, do a search for the "Texas Transportation Museum" thread, they put on a great show out there which I missed. I'll be at the Museum of the American GI rally in College Station TX on March 19. Will be there with M915.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joe, there is a paper available on the ABS Mod Track website about the VIN. You are correct in that the 28 is for the M928A2 and it is followed by a slash and the production number. That is the way BMY numbered their trucks.

If you pull all of the CTIS stuff off of your truck, please box it up and send it to me as I intend to get my CTIS fully functional on my 925A2.

GIJoeCzar

SF97 Non-Standard VIN Request to GL - Happy with answer!

Below is the response I got from GL when requesting that the include the actual VIN for my M928A2 (I am VERY happy with their response):

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Jean Payton <JPayton@govliquidation.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: Request for non-standard characters to be allowed on SF97 for GL Sale 4866 (M928A2)
To: "Joe Czarnik" <gijoeczar@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 2:57 PM

We will be more than happy to enter the VIN exactly as you wish it to be. From now on, when you enter the information on the Request form, please enter the VIN # in the “Comments” section exactly as you wish it to be on the SF97 and indicate that you wish it to be exactly the same on the SF97 because our program is set up to eliminate anything except #s and letters, so we would not see the dashes/slashes. We try to keep our customers from being turned away with incorrect information so we have set up our procedure – but we will accommodate our customers if there is a difference that they wish to have us use. Not a problem.
Jean

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 1:05 PM
To: Jean Payton
Subject: Request for non-standard characters to be allowed on SF97 for GL Sale 4866 (M928A2)

Jean,

Happy New Year and thank you very much for your feedback.

I would like to propose a change to your (Government Liquidation's) standard procedures based on our discussion below. And, for the purpose of this discussion, "standard" characters are numbers or letters; "non-standard" characters are everything else.

As I understand it, GL's position is that they will NOT put non-standard characters (/, -, #, etc.) into a SF97, because the (assumption of all) State Motor Vehicle departments will not accept non-standard characters. Although the assumption that no motor vehicle departments will only accept numbers or letters is likely accurate in the simple majority of cases, I believe that the different State Motor Vehicle departments should be allowed to make that decision - not Government Liquidations.

As I have substantiated with my previous attachments, the military did, and does, use non-standard characters in their vehicle Identification numbers (VIN). Seldom, if ever, does the US Military produce a tactical vehicle that utilizes the standard 17 alpha-numeric character VIN format that the States recognize. Therefore, dash or no dash, the VIN that GL is going to place on my SF97 will (a) require a Department of Motor Vehicles over-ride to their normal process and (b) have to be manually entered.

My goal is to preserve, to the greatest extent possible, the unique military configuration of my M928A2 and the VIN is as unique as the rest of the truck. My plea is that GL allows me to "fight the fight" with regards to the non-standard VIN as within the current process, GL's practice of not allowing non-standard characters eliminates altogether my ability to plead my case to my DMV.

My recommendation is that Government Liquidations, in at least circumstances as materially supported and documented as the VIN on my M928A2, document on the SF97 EXACTLY what the military VIN reflects and let the State's Department of Motor Vehicles determine whether or not they'll allow the non-standard characters to be manually entered on a State Title.

Jean - I know that this will take some additional effort on your part, but my preference is that GL makes a determination on my SF97 request PRIOR to GL producing my M928A2's SF97 (read, make the decision before producing my SF97). Naturally I need to balance this request with my desire to title my M928A2 as soon as possible, so that I can legally operate it on the road.

Please let me know what you find.

VERY appreciatively and sincerely,

Joe Czarnik
(608) 567-8281

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Jean Payton <JPayton@govliquidation.com> wrote:

Subject: FW: SF97 for GL Sale 4866 (M928A2)
To: gijoeczar@sbcglobal.net
Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 9:29 AM

Mr. Czarnik, first of all, I wish all of our customers were as diligent about their information as you are – thank you for all the attachments. We have printed them and will keep them handy for future reference.
Please note that the motor vehicle offices do not accept any dashes, slashes, etc. We have to eliminate them when processing our documents. Their systems don’t recognize anything except numbers, so when you submit a VIN, anything other than a number does not show up on our system. All your other information is perfect. Thank you again.
Jean Payton
Vehicle Titling Coordinator

Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:18 PM
To: GL Info
Subject: SF97 for GL Sale 4866 (M928A2)

Dear Government Liquidation's Representative,

I need your help in ensuring that the SF97 that I have just requested is produced so that it accurately reflects my M928A2's actual vehicle identification number (VIN), which is "28/00102". The "/" (slash) could easily be mistaken for a number seven (7), but that is not the case. My GL invoice number for this M928A2 is 453332.

Please see all three attachments; first is of my M928A2's data plate showing the actual VIN and the other two are military documentation explaining the VIN numbering convention for the M939 series trucks.

Please produce my SF97 so that it shows the following case-sensitive information exactly as shown:

Year: 1990

Make: BMY – DIV. OF HARSCO

Model: M928A2

VIN#: 28/00102

Body Style: Cargo

Color: Camouflage

Weight: 25520

GVWR: 35520

Mileage: 19210

Type of Fuel: Diesel

Number of Cylinders: 6

Please do NOT hesitate to call me at (608) 567-8281 if you have any questions or if you for some reason believe that you cannot make the SF97 reflect the information identically as shown above.

Very sincerely,

Joseph E. Czarnik

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, My CTIS is not connected. You are in a great area, the San Antonio MV collectors/ Steel Soldiers are an active bunch, do a search for the "Texas Transportation Museum" thread, they put on a great show out there which I missed. I'll be at the Museum of the American GI rally in College Station TX on March 19. Will be there with M915.
I know this is off topic but...heck yeah! Hit me up while in town. :smile:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, I have had M939A2 trucks with the slash in the VIN and some without...all what appear to be original data plates and most built in 1989 (regardless of slash or not), but a couple from the 90s. The slash was purposeful, but I am not sure why some VINs have them and some don't. I would just leave it out.

GIJoeCzar

Thanks all for the comments. I suspect that the Texas DMV will remove the slash as well, I simply want the opportunity to try to keep it. I'll let you know how it goes. Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joe, the VA DMV turned my slash into a 1 on my title for my 923A2. I wasn't going to argue with them since I had worked months just to get them put BMY Division into the DMV computer in Richmond. Plus, it sort of looked like a 1 on the VIN tag anyways.

halftrack

Just saw this thread Joe, Nice truck. I was eyeing that one up myself but I only wish it had the ISO bed on it so it could haul the 20ft containers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks