• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help decoding bumper numbers on my Dodge M37

nycfsd

I posted this elsewhere on the site a couple of weeks ago, but recieved no reply, can anyone help decode the numbers under the fire truck paint on my 1954 M37.

Tailgate- US ARMY 2443843
rear passenger bumperette- HQ
rear drivers bumperette- ?5
Passenger front bumper-135GPE
Drivers front bumper-26

there may be numbers or letters missing where I put ( ? ) , the paint is pretty scuffed.

Data Plate Info:

Date of Delivery-05-02-54
serial#- 80262749
Model- T 245

I'd appreciate any help you guys could provide in my quest for original info, I'd like to restore the original configuration and markings..

Thanks, Chris

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
That's too old for my database but...

The passenger side front should match the drivers side rear for bumper markings. Likewise the passenger side rear should match the drivers side front. You have partials enough to uncover the unit. The tailgate number is probably a registration number if not the serial number.

The unit is most likely the 135th Engineer Group, Jefferson City, Missouri and the vehicle number is HQ-26. No way of knowing what section 26 was in unless you uncover so historical documents. Potentially 26 was in the intelligence section but can't be sure.

Hope that helps.

Mike_L

The "US ARMY 2443843" markings are the typical markings found on the M37 tailgate. These will also be painted on the sides of the hood. The "2443843" is the registration (or USA) number for the vehicle. The actual serial number or frame number is on the frame just forward of the driver's front tire (usually hard to see under the 20+ layers of paint that has accumulated) and should match the SN (80262749) on the glove box data plate.

As medlog said, the front bumper markings should match the rear bumper markings. So, you might be able to fill the blanks or confirm the others by uncovering them. Incidentally, if they don't match, that is even more history! These trucks got moved from unit to unit sometimes and if the bumpers don't match then that means you've uncovered two units the truck had been in. Well, two units the bumpers have been in (the bumpers may not be original to the truck). The registration number (2443843) will always stay the same throughout the vehicle's military service even if it changes units.

I don't see your truck on the M37 registry. When you get a chance, go over to G741.org and enter your vehicle. There are several other vehicles near your SN and delivery date. Entering yours will help track the numbers some. Mine was delivered in March '54.

acetomatoco

Good post Mike... Reminds me of when I was doing bumper markings in my unit in 1965. Brand new M37B1. 7A 502E on the left and FB 25 on the right bumperettes... With big white stars...on the doors... Seventh Army 502 Engineer Company Float Bridge Truck #25. This same unit went to Bosnia a few years ago when the flooding was rampant in East Europe... the river went from 600 to 1200 ft wide in a matter of hours and the bridge was wet on both ends for sure....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks