• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help diagnosing problem

Today my ground wire at the negative cable on the front battery fried. My gpr has lately made some excessive grinding sounds, but that problem seems to have passed. Hasn't happens in about a week. I have cleaned my ground connections, have the dog head mod, and my gpr and glow plugs are about year old with daily use. I know these issues are redundant. Please help. I just need some advice. Additionally, my resistor bank had been bypassed when I bought the vehicle. I have also done the backup push button mod. I'm trying everything. Is this fried ground a symptom of a specific issue?

Stonepicker1

Check your ground wire from the top left rear of the engine to the terminal block(-) If its loose or missing it will cause the small neg wire on the front battery to over-heat when starting.

DonK

Check your ground wire from the top left rear of the engine to the terminal block(-) If its loose or missing it will cause the small neg wire on the front battery to over-heat when starting.
Ditto...you've got a loose connection in the main ground. All the current was carried by the smaller ground wire causing the damage. The chatter from the GPR was probably caused by the voltage drop due to the bad connection. I can't think of anything else that would case this other than a loose connection. If you haven't already done so, check and clean ALL cables and connections. Let us know what you find...remember that the lower the voltage the higher the amperage...

hotdogs151a2

I had the same symptom / problem a while back. The connection that Mr. Stonepicker1 noted was the problem on my truck. It took some time to track it down. Good luck.
Thanks, Pvt Hotdog