• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help find an aftermarket wheel/tire

erasedhammer

I've determined that I want to drop the military wheels/tire and swap them out for some civilian ones.
I am currently running paired spacing 24 bolt rims with 37 BFG Baja E with runflats.

My main reason for wanting to change is to shed as much weight off the tires as possible, for less unsprung weight and all. I obviously still want to maintain at least 3500 lbs rated load per tire, and I would also like to have them still look semi-military, so none of the chrome stuff. Definitely going to want a 17" rim though.
I have looked at cepeks wheels and couldn't find any information about their weight, I would hope since they are aluminum they would weigh less than the 24bolts. I did see that the stock 24 bolt rims only weigh 38 lbs... which I find hard to believe considering they feel like 50+. BFG tires looked rather nice, found some of their mud terrains were around 70 lbs, expensive, but listed as being 36.5" in overall diameter...
I also had a hard time finding any rims that had the correct bolt pattern and offset, so any recommendations there would be helpful.

So pretty much, what tire/rim would yall recommend to get to have the most weight savings, durability, and load capacity while still looking military?

On a side note: How much do the runflats (rubber ones) weigh?

Last edited:

tobyS

Get rid of the runflats and put in beadlocks. The few pounds to al from steel sounds like a waste of money.

DatGuyC

I'm planning on running some hummer h2 wheels with 37x12.5r17 tires when I pick up a set. They are cheap and the offset is only off about an inch out. The center holes have to be made larger but thats not hard to do.

erasedhammer

Are there any lighter steel aftermarket rims? The switch to 17" would expand my tire options.
BFGs mud terrain 37s weigh in at 70 lbs. And I'm thinking of getting them but I need to find a good quality lighter rim.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks