• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help locating engine serial for 3116

Aernan

I tried google. I think there is supposed to be a serial on the passenger side where the oil pan meets the engine casting. I didn't find one on my engine.

Where should I look?

coachgeo

I tried google. I think there is supposed to be a serial on the passenger side where the oil pan meets the engine casting. I didn't find one on my engine.

Where should I look?
"Caterpillar on-highway engines consist of the 3208, the 3406 and the C series engines. All Caterpillar engines are painted yellow from the factory. Serial numbers consist of a string of alphanumeric code. The serial and model number is located on a metallic plate on the passenger side of the valve cover. If the metallic plate is missing, the engine serial number is stamped on the passenger side of the cylinder block, just behind the exhaust manifold."

For some reason I'm remembering on the block that it is not on a vertical face on the block but on a more horizontal chunk of the block... in below enlarged pic you can zoom in see a numbera 8 barely. This is part of its serial number stamped into the block not far back from turbo on the horizontal face of the rib that looks furthest pic below

This link will take you to the sale ad. Choose image like one below to view the HUGE one there (tiny here) http://dddiesel.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cat-3116-7HJ04502-4.jpg
cat-3116-7HJ04502-4.jpg

shape of rib
https://caterpillar.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/1087iE02E596B38E61222?v=1.0

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's usually on a separate label next to the one you have pictured. Sometimes when the military does their internal remains on these they remove the original stickers. If the original one isn't there sometimes you can find something on the front or rear of the block.

Aernan

It's usually on a separate label next to the one you have pictured. Sometimes when the military does their internal remains on these they remove the original stickers. If the original one isn't there sometimes you can find something on the front or rear of the block.
The hunt continued

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not much to hunt for. If you have the insulation over your intercooler piping on top of the valve cover you may have to move it a bit. Usually the engine serial sticker can be seen between the two pipes though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks