• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help on keeping tandem axles and running 53" xzl's

deuce_09

100dollarman's five ton has no problem clearing 53" xzl's.but on a deuce what would be needed to fit those tires with the same setup.. and would it have enough power to turn them when i go offroading with it??

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Have you thought about 385's? The biggest you can go are 385's (46") without any mods on a deuce. Even with these tires up front, you may get some rubbing on your J-pipe. Plus you'll need to ditch your spare tire as well.

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100dollarman's five ton has no problem clearing 53" xzl's.but on a deuce what would be needed to fit those tires with the same setup.. and would it have enough power to turn them when i go offroading with it??
From what I have read on SS those that have used the largest tires with tandems welded longer arms that hold the axles in place in order to get the axles spread further apart. This is rather tricky as you have to make sure each arm is extended the exact same amount. If one arm is not correct the tires will not track right. Plus the pads the ends of the leaf springs ride on might need to be extended, depending on how much longer the arms are stretched. It can be done but is it really worth all that effort just for a little more tire size? Only you can decide if you have the money or equipment to go that far just for larger tires then what the tandems could normally fit.

As far as power I think it will be a dog in high but shouldn't be too bad with the transfer case in low. If it is a problem you could try a transmission from a gas powered deuce. It has a lower first gear but no overdrive (i.e. 5th gear is 1:1).

Ruppster

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
deuce_09, do a search here on steel soldiers for posts by user "hot rod deuce". He built a deuce and moved the rear axles further apart with custom length torque rods. You will find some of his threads in search. Once you find them, we can continue the suspension modification questions there in order to keep everything relevant together.

Unforgiven

Don't forget about extending the driveshaft between the two axles. It's not a big deal for a driveline shop if you have a longer shaft already available. Shouldn't cost more than $75-100 or so for them to shorten a long shaft to the proper length & balance it.

It might be easier to find a complete 5 ton axle assembly & put it under the Deuce. But the transfer case drops to the wrong side. If you are not careful you will end up with severe driveline vibrations.

I'm very curious to see what you come up with as a solution. The guy who lifted & bobbed with 53's has a great looking truck. You might use him as a template for a lift kit that keeps the tandem axles.

Ridgerunner

If it was me doing this project, and I wanted to keep the dual tandems and run 53's on a Deuce.....

Lets pick a number, and just say that you want to seperate the axles by 6"

1- I'd lenghten all the dog-bones 3" each.
2- The bottom two leaf springs on the rear of a Deuce, that the axles ride on, is 52" I contact a spring shop and have them make four 58" long springs. Then I'd remove the two, top short springs in the pack, install the two, new longer springs to the bottom of the pack, against the original 52" leafs. Your axles would now ride on the new longer leafs, with the listalled lengthend dog-bones.

I don't think a spring shop would charge you all that much for four individual leaf springs, seeings how they don't even have rolled eyes on the ends for bushings, and they are all identical in length. It's a pretty straight foward, and simple job for them to make. Also with this setup, (removing two leafs and adding two leafs) your existing hardware (u-bolts and what not) would be able to be reused. So you would save some money there.

As for clearance, you'll have to ditch your J-pipe to run 53's on a Deuce. Even then the chance of rubbing the fenders is there yet, off road and in turns. I'd do a lift front and rear. I think, lifting the rear would be the simplest, just by adding another frame section under it.

deuce_09

well guy im tryin to buy another deuce(my first one was sold for parts cuz i was in a bind)
if i get it, i will most likely do tandem 1600's...cross your fingers

Attachments

Last edited:

Texas Diesel

I know this is an older thread, just thought I'd throw these up here. Bought the M35A2C from a young man in Louisiana and he had put 53" XZL's (16R20) on the front and 49" XZL's (14R20) on the rear. The shop in LA. that did the work is called Kingpin Automotive in Gonzales. I will be replacing the front tires in a few weeks to match the back. so I won't have any issues when placing it in 6-wheel drive. The linkage used appears to be tractor linkage and is adjustable. I put some more pics up if the undercarrige if I find anyone is interested.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks