• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help ! PS Install having issues

Amxhunter

Let me start off saying that without the help of this forum i'd be in trouble. So a big thanks.

I need some help on this install. I had started a previous thread about progress but we are beyond that issue at this time and i will update it when finished.

The mechanical part of the install went OK. however I'm having the following issue.

1. I installed the 5 ton pump in the deuce , bolted right in.

2. I installed the PS Box similar to others , on the inside frame channel and it worked out OK.

3. I plumbed the pump to the PS box (HS54 box) as i think it should be with pressure from the pump going to the bottom port and the return coming out the top of the box going back to the reservoir.

Is this correct ?

The Problem I'm having is that the box does not want to turn right.

It turns to the left just fine.

It comes back to center fine.

It does turn about 1 round to the right with a firm effort, then gets really hard to turn but does move .

I notice that when I turn the wheels to the left, at full stop I can hear the pump bypass.

This does not happen when turning right. At any time.

Disconnecting the drag link, the box will easily turn stop to stop, and swings further than is needed for normal steering, so I know it's not hitting the internal stops when turning right.

I would appreciate any feedback or questions. Been working.

baxter

Im sure you did but when you connected the pitman arm is it centerd in the rotation if the gearbox? Also when I installed mine I had to be very carfull when tightening the mounting bolts for the gearbox or I would get severe binding in the box. I hope this helps some.

Vaughn

Amxhunter

from the shop manual for HF54's Gringletaub sent me , it appears the box is not working right.

It appears to be leaking internally when turned in the one direction and the condition matches up with the description in the manual.

Actually the box is even a little loose right now , I just wanted to verify everything was working before buttoning all down, and I found this.

What a PITA.

hemichallenger

Do you have 3 lines coming out of the box? The bottom is the suction that goes to the
tank the small little one in the middle goes to the tank and the top goes to the bottom of the stearing box. Top stearing box line back to the tank. Sounds like you got it right but you did not refer to the middle line on the pump. If you have it set up like this i would think you have a bad box. Does it stear with the front jacked up or on the ground with the motor speeded up to 1500 or more?

Amxhunter

Verified it's setup like you said with the 3 lines coming from the pump.

Yes, when the drag link is disconnected the box will rotate both directions fine.

When you attach the drag link and try to turn , left it great ! back to center is fine.

Just talked to the dealer I bought the box from, unfortunately i bought it back in April , he's making noises about a 30 day warrnty , but may work with me.

Anybody know someone who repairs these things ?

Amxhunter

Just an update.

The PS box is BAD :(

The good news is that the vendor I bought it from is sending me another one, I just pay freight and he verified this one to be working.

Well i verified the other one to be working too, until you put a load on it.

I am excitedly anxious, as even though the other box is bad , it would turn completely to the left and back to center, with ONE Finger !!!!! :jumpin:

Too bad it 95F and 200% Humidity for the next week. Need to do this at 4am !