• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with headlight/brake light problem

Robbie Probst

I have an 86' M1009 and I'm having a hell of time trying to figure out an issue with lighting. When I purchased the truck a few years ago all the lights were functioning but had a lot of micolanous wires from aftermarket lights and modifications. Recently my truck was broken in to and some lights and the radio were taken. Somewhere along the way with all the extra wires and with the mess I was left with, my headlights and break lights stopped working, however the taillights and parking lights still do. Its not a fuse an I'm thinking maybe a wire got pulled out somewhere an reinstalled incorrectly. Can somebody please try and take a guess as to what it might be, I would much appreciate any help. I could upload sm photos if need be. Thank you very much.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have an 86' M1009 and I'm having a hell of time trying to figure out an issue with lighting. When I purchased the truck a few years ago all the lights were functioning but had a lot of micolanous wires from aftermarket lights and modifications. Recently my truck was broken in to and some lights and the radio were taken. Somewhere along the way with all the extra wires and with the mess I was left with, my headlights and break lights stopped working, however the taillights and parking lights still do. Its not a fuse an I'm thinking maybe a wire got pulled out somewhere an reinstalled incorrectly. Can somebody please try and take a guess as to what it might be, I would much appreciate any help. I could upload sm photos if need be. Thank you very much.
Pictures can't hurt. Even a few under the dash and a few under the hood... Sounds like "you got helped" and the extra hacked wiring for add-on devices didn't help you (or so it seems).

cucvrus

Headlamps I am thinking the headlamp dimmer switch mounted under the dash on the column. Easy to diagnose. The switch is on the left side it has 3 wires going to it and a white plastic plug with squeeze locks. Unplug it and jump from the single wire to one of the other to wires. Use a test light to determine which wire is the hot wire when the lights are on. If the switch clips and feels rough that is usually the issue. The brake lights could be the switch on the upper brake pedal. Unplug that and jump across the 2 the lights should work. I suspect the stealing of the radio and pulling of wires has interfered with the connections. And with a little luck and discovery it may just be a blown or corroded fuse. Many of the CUCV's have lighting issues with the overloaded 30 amp fuse on the right side of the fuse box 1/2 way up the box. That circuit and the brake lights are serviced by the same power leg in the fuse box. My terminology is not always correct but I hope you get the jest of it. Good Luck. Report back.

Robbie Probst

Thank you so much for replying to me. So one thing I forgot to mention is the that something must be wired wrong because when I switch up on the B/O switch closets to the door the horn goes off. I know I had to switch that one down for the headlight before. But still something could of gotten misplaced. Also I know your guess is that the headlights and break lights are separate issues but the weird thing is they both seemed to go out at the same time any chance it could be one in the same. First thing I did checked was the fuse and no luck there Wish it could have been that easy. Thanks again for your time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks