• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with PA DMV and getting antique plates

da-beast

I have a 71 kaiser jeep and not knowing any better I have it registered like normal. Paid big bucks but didn't care as I finally got my toy. Here is where the problems start. I went to get it inspected and the guy goes you know you need a CDL to drive this...news to me, is he right? He said it was not due to the weight but due to the air brakes. Is this really enforced, would the cops even know, and if I get caught whats the penalty? I guess after I learn to drive it a little better I could get the CDL but right now parking the thing is not my strong point. SO the guy tells me to register it as an antique and then I am grandfathered in somehow and I can drive it. Next problem, I used e-loan to finance the truck and they hold the title. SO I called the DMV and they said to fill out all the forms plus this form to change what the title said. So I take the pics and fill out the forms and mail it in. I just got back a form letter saying first to send them the title GRRRR then second that it is not restored. What does that mean? The paint is a little crappy but other than that its perfect. Has anyone had this problem and what do I need to do or how do I get around it. Would I do better to go to the DMV in person? Anyone in Philly area have any special DMV's they like? Really need some help on this one guys as I am very new to all the red tape crap.

CGarbee

You might want to check to see if PA has any requirements that are more stringent than the Federal ones... but: You do not need a CDL for the M35. For that matter, you don't need an air brake endorsement on your non-CDL license. The M35 has air over hydraulic brakes and these are considered as "hydraulic" by the FHWA and USDOT.

A lot of folks (especially the ones who have not read the actual regulations) tend to get a tad confused, especially when they hear air hissing out of the vent when you let up on the brakes...

FSBruva

Well, we don't have air brakes.... we have air over oil. This means that you have hydraulic brakes, with a compressed air assist. In the event of a catastrophic loss of air pressure, you still have hydraulic brakes, but with less stopping power.

About the rest... probably have to talk to e-loan about getting the title changed. But, you shouldn't have to change the title to register it historic, I don't think. Titling informs the state the physical characteristics of your vehicle... registering informs the state how you will be using the (already titled) vehicle on their roads.

From PA Vehicle code:
“Antique Motor Vehicle” - a motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications."

Don't know what they're looking for...

Matt

da_sgt

da-beast You might want to check my post in "conversations" notice to comply submitted by Wallew, its on the top of page 3. It shows a short version of fed regs for what is a commercial vehicle. Show that to the inspector, unless you use your M35 for commercial reasons or you have comm. plates there is no need for a CDL! And as everyone stated, you have air assisted brakes, not air brakes. And unless Pa. has some strange law on air brakes you can drive private vehicles with air brakes with a plane license. :wink: Good Luck

MB4/94

I have put Antique Plates on several trucks in Pa over the last several years. You MUST have the title because they need it to stamp it as an Antique. You Must also have proof of insurance. Your pictures must be clear and NOT show any signs of rust or needing repair. Penndot got real fussy about what they will licence as an Antique about 2 years ago. People where putting Antique Plates on some real junk, so they put a stop to it.

ida34

In MI if you are not using it for a commercial purpose than you don't need a CDL. About will a cop stop you or knot, that all depends. Some have more knowledge about big trucks than others. Some are or were commercial enforcement officers and may have a thorough knowledge of the laws pertaining to large vehicles. Most will have the codes and all they have to do is find the right page. If there is a state law backing up what the inspector said than assume that any cop will know this too. Remember Federal regulations do not trump local or state law. The local or state law can be more restrictive as long as it doe not infringe on a constitutional right. The can't lessen federal law though.

MB4/94

Like the other guys said. A deuce has air assisted hydraulic brakes. Not air brakes. You do not need a CDL in Pa for a Deuce. Take your truck to someone that knows what they are looking at. If you do get an Antique Plate for it. You don't need a state inspection, ever !!!

Low-Tech-Redneck

He is incorrect, you do not need a CDL to drive a deuce in PA

Direct from a pamphlet I got from the DMV, it says.

A Pennsylvania CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs. Unless it's loaded, your deuce should way much less than this.

2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. Again, exempt.

3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
Exempt again.

4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.
Exempt again.

I was surprised, but NOWHERE in the regulations does it even MENTION air brake, and even if so, you don't have air brakes, you have air-over-hydraulic.

We got antique plates for our deuce in PA as well, to get them, you MUST restore the vehicle to a nominal level to qualify for antique tags and have documented photographs of the vehicle's condition. This is done deliberately so people don't try to sneak a rustbucket past the inspectors. IF the truck has ANY visable rust on it or a paintjob that looks like crap, they WILL fail it.

Easy enough, clean up the rust, give it a coat of paint, take it's picture, and it'll likely pass

brgmchevy

I was able to get an Antique tag for my 1972 AM General M35A2 from PA in 2004. It was a difficult chore even though I bought it with the Antique tag from the previous owner.

mmfllc

I was wondering the same thing about Ohio, anyone know the scoop? GL has a few m35's coming up this month in Columbus (30 miles from me) and I would love to bid on one but I'm a little hesitant because of the lack of the SF97 and the whole GL bidding "thing". Any thoughts???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks