• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with spring ends asap

Awesome Possum

Texas heat has finally broken and me and Badga have gotten a HUGE amount of work done (at least for us) in the last two days, but now we need a bit of SS knowledge. Just found out I have Badga for an extra day tomorrow so have to throw a work schedule together real quick.

We have the deuce front springs placed for the rear axle, and the mounting holes on the sides drilled and bolted on. Tomorrow we need to drill the holes for the bottom of the mounts. The problem is removing the leafs from the mounts in order to drill these holes. Looks simple enough, but this is usually when I get in trouble.

I hope the stuff I added to the included pic can be seen. I figure A & B ( retaining bolts) can be removed, and then C is driven out towards the center of the truck (in the direction of the blue arrow). I'd use a socket to protect the zerk fitting when tapping it out. The other end of "C" has a slot in it as if it was for a big screwdriver. Do I need to know anything here?

I've seen the mounts bolted to the frame both with and without washers. What's the verdict? How about lock washers? All will be grade 8.

Thanks

Attachments

ODdave

Correct on the pin removal, it should go either way. As far as lock washers, No. I would opt for a "top-loc" style of nut insted, preforably in a flange style with a flange bolt. no washers to move around and no lock washers to deform and work there way out. 2cents

Also, FWIW, I would only remove 1 hanger and use it for a template for all 4 spots. Then put it back on the spring and bolt them up. I say this because those pins can be a pain to get back in if anything is tweeked or deformed just a little.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, remove the bolts and the pin can be tapped in toward the driveline or out away from it. I would think washers would be overkill, but I would probably use them.

MrM4

Why not use alittle paint to mark the holes and unbolt the side bolts and roll the axle ahead and back, that seems much easyer then tearing down the springs. If theres not an axle on it yet use the paint to mark the holes and just unbolt 1 end at a time and let it swing to the ground.

Awesome Possum

We started with the holes being drilled through the side of the frame, with the clamps holding the mounts and springs in place. We bolted the mounts to the frame, and swung an end of the leaf spring down, one at a time, then drilled the holes for the bottom bolts. Tearing down the springs was actually pretty easy when using that harbor freight crane.

Attachments