• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need info on tailgate hardware

chriskonen

Gentlemen,

Still trying to restore my '77 M880 but it is slow going finding parts and I can't find anyone in my area who knows anything about these trucks. My issue today will be simple for most of you so be gentle. Finally found a tailgate for my '77 but after trying to mount it I've hit a snag. The '77 has a slotted "L" bracket for the latch mechanism, but this tailgate I have (appears to be early 80's) has a rotating "U" or "C" claw that looks like it wants to connect to a cylindrical striker like a door would.

Since I can't find another tailgate, can I make this one work? Grind off the "L" brackets, weld on the strikers? If so where can I find the strikers. No junkyards near me have these era trucks and I can't find anywhere online that deals with this era replacement parts. Maybe someone has or knows where they can get this hardware near them I could buy? Thanks for your time as always!

MatthewH

You're right. When Dodge changed body styles in '81, the latch mechanism changed with it. The tailgate still fits, just won't latch.

I installed a 70's era tailgate on a '93 box, and welded u-bolts to the box so it would latch.

I believe you can get the striker pins from dorman, but any steel rod the same size should work. Will measure one of mine and post size.

If your interested, I have an extra 70's Dodge replacement tailgate. Good shape, I can send you pics if you want. Make you a killer deal on it. PM if interested

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're right. When Dodge changed body styles in '81, the latch mechanism changed with it. The tailgate still fits, just won't latch.

I installed a 70's era tailgate on a '93 box, and welded u-bolts to the box so it would latch.

I believe you can get the striker pins from dorman, but any steel rod the same size should work. Will measure one of mine and post size.

If your interested, I have an extra 70's Dodge replacement tailgate. Good shape, I can send you pics if you want. Make you a killer deal on it. PM if interested
So how did I not know about this tailgate you have?

MatthewH

So how did I not know about this tailgate you have?
I forgot I had it until he asked about em. I then remembered making mine fit, which led to remembering I bought 2 70's era tailgates at the Pick and Pull. Looked today, sure enough, there it sits in the rafters of the Shop. If he dosent want it, then I offer the same deal to you, Bob. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks