• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M105 wiring conversion to composites

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M105 trailer has the older, round tail lights "see first picture". My understanding is that they are not compatable with my M35A2 and composite lights "see second picture". I plugged the trailer into my truck and have running lights, hazards, left blinker, NO right blinker and pushing on the brakes the lights go OUT.

First, is it true that they are not compatable? If they are compatable, please help me understand how to wire them so I can use them. It seems close at this point.

If not, does anyone have the wiring conversion documented for converting to composite lights? If not, i'll be pinning it out. I also understand that the current wiring harness has enough wires to get the job done.

Thanks,

Attachments

Scrounger

The tail lamps on your 105 are the earlier style, sometime called cat eyes. The composite lights are just a later style. There isn’t any compatibility problems with the type of light that your have. I suspect that your problems are probably a bad bulb, poor ground or maybe a bad wire in the harness. Some people change to the newer style just because they have greater visibility. My ’68 54 still has the earlier style lights and I have kept them because that’s what it came with. If you are going to swap out to a newer style it is simply a matter of unplugging and unbolting the old and bolting up the new. Sometimes you may have to drill a new hole or two for the new lamp.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, You can put the composite lights on the trailer that has/had the old round lights. There are just a couple of mods to do. The wiring is the same. The free trailer had the round lights and the GL trailer ahd the composites, I wanted composites, so, I just swapped them...took a bit of welding on the GL trailer, but it came out as good as it was when it left the factory. I'll go snap some pics and post 'em up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not as easy as just un bolt and bolt the new ones up. There is cutting and grinding and drilling involved, but it is easy. The drivers side is gravy, if you try to use the existing holes, the light hits the frame. you need to make an extention...no biggie. The pas. side takes some cutting, grinding and drilling. The bkt for the tail light and b/o light is tall and long. In one of the pics, you can see the remnants of the bkt where it's welded to the frame. Call me if you have questions.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks