• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need seal part numbers

groundog

:) :) can anyone tell me the seal part numbers for the rear axle of a m-35--these seals press against tne bearings---losing gear oil at bottom of drum thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're looking for a civilian or parts store number, forget it, they don't exist. Also, if you're leaking gear oill there you have some other issues. The bearings on the M44 series are lubed with GAA (grease). There is an outer seal where the wheel bearing nuts are. Chances are good that this failed or the keyway behind it wasn't sealed which allowed gear oil to get into the bearings. Another possible cause for this would be clogged axle vents so check those as well. That inner seal was just never designed to retain gear oil so don't expect it to. Oh, the outer seal has no civilian interchange either.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the facts Sir, just the facts! LOL I just did both rear axles on the tractor last weekend. Glad its done, I got dirty.

groundog

:( :( thanks for the info---brake shoes were soaked---probably leaking for some time---oil had leaked on inside dual---got things all cleaned uo and outer seal does not look to bad---not really a good design-will repack bearings which they needed

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal. It's really not a bad design either. I rather like it. As I said earlier, don't forget to seal up that keyway behind the outer seal. That single item if overlooked, causes all the work to occur again.

acetomatoco

Ya, the design has only lasted 60 years... must be really bad!! Most leaks are operator error....You have to keep those vents clean.. get into the habit of rotating the top of em and tapping them up and down each time you are under the truck.. Do not overfill the diffs and use single viz GL1. The little cork in the keyway is verrrrrry important...glue it in there with a little rtv and make sure it is a little longer than the space so it expands when you put the washers and nuts on... ACE

groundog

:) :) thanks for all the info and help---we all learn as we go along---I am now starting to work on my m-813---someone took the tube off that goes from transmission to transfer--supplies air---you never know what is missing when you get a truck at a auction---again thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks