• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need sizes for bolts to add front winch to non winch truck.

ida34

Someone out there that has done it has to have a list of the required nuts bolt and pins. I have the TM but it does not give the sizes. I am looking for the size an length for any and all hardware for mounting the winch frame extensions to the truck and the bumper and winch mounting to that. I also need the sizes for the hardware involved in mounting the winch pto shifter lever and the pins that attache the lever to the PTO. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, I'll see if I can figure some of that stuff out. Do you have the special shouldered bolts that mount the winch to the frame extensions? I couldn't even begin to think of where to get those.

ida34

I was lucky and one of my winches does is still mounted to the upper brackets. I have those bolts. I need the ones that attach the upper mounts to the frame extension, the frame extension to the frame, and the bumper to the both the upper mounts and frame extension. It looks like the bumper fits over both the upper mount and the frame extensions. I assume that I can reuse some bolts but the tm lists different part numbers for the tow shackle mount to the bumper based on with or without winch. I don't really need anyone to jump up and start measuring them. I was hoping someone that has done this may have had a list of the fasteners needed. It will be easy enough to figure it out with my handy dandy fasenter measurer template. My local hardware store probably stocks all the needed hardware. We used to be a farming community before the farms got sold off to developers. I even got a box full of bolts with the nylon nuts in the cab of my truck when I got it from DRMO. I think they are for the ringmount that was on it. I plan to put a ring mount back on but I could use them to size some of the bolts. If I get really stuck I will throw up the red flag and ask someone to measure.

Thanks
Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you say "One of my winches"? You have 2 of them? Is one broken? If you're taking a winch down to parts, I might could be in the market for a piece or two.

ida34

I did end up with two. I am getting the second one from an ebay auction. I found the first one I got was missing some small parts. It has the chain end I was looking for along with some other small parts I am missing from the one I have now. The one I have now has been abused and care was not taken when the cable was brought back in. The back bracket and the rod at the bottom were both very bent up. The bracket on the top was missing along with the knob to lock the drum. The input moves but I have yet to actually pull the cable out as it is pinched now. The one on ebay looks like it has been taken care of but it is listed as locked up. I will tear both of them apart and hope to get one good one. When I know what kind of shape the spare are in I will let you know and we will see if there is anything you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4608902631&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Armada

Hey Chuck, Got to use my winch this past weekend. Took the trailer out to bro's house to pick up the cab, and, well.... the ground was a little soft,..... alright, a lot soft... :) Sunk it to the pumpkins. I used his duece as an anchor on the road and hooked my winch to it, and the truck dragged itself 40 yards with mud to the hubs and a trailer behind. The engine never labored. I was impressed. All the work you're putting into yours by adding a winch will probably pay for itself oneday. :)

ida34

I regularly get my tractor stuck and usually use my F350 4x4 dually to get it out. This will be much more fun. With the weather lately it isn't hard to get it stuck. I have gotten my wartime deuce stuck hauling a 400 gallon water buffalo through sand. I never had it stuck so bad that I couldn't just back out. I had to drop the trailer a few times but never needed to be pulled out. I will have to try harder to get this truck stuck. I am thinking on going on that Fort Custer trail ride in April. It will probably still be muddy enough to make it interesting. I am going to get a winch mounted on a 2 inch receiver mount for my Excursion. I will also set it up to use on my trailer. My cousin and I fryed three small harbor freight winches trying to load his 68 GTO. In the end I just got out the come along and it worked just fine. If I had a rearmounted winch on the deuce then I could use that to load the trailer. With all that rain I made the decision to just go ahead and get an 8000 electric winch for the Excursion. That is when I get it back from the body shop.

Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interestingly enough, it the design of the deuce, the winch in low range and the truck in low range of the transfer and first gear are designed to operate at a close speed together. This is all effected by tire size and how much cable is on the drum but thats some pretty serious thought in design. It is my humble opinion that the deuce is the most common sense engineered truck ever produced.

Armada

I agree Kenny. With everything in low, it just churns itself along.
My only change would be something on the winch to keep the cable stacked on the spool correctly, like what the big wreckers have I think. It can stack up in one spot too quickly, pinch, and shear the pin. Especially when you don't have the luxury of a straight on hookup and you have to pull slightly off to the side.

mangus580

I am considering making a set of rollers for mine..... I seem to never have the luxury of having help using mine.... Was also gonna elaborate on the mirror idea, and I might use a 'backup camera' to watch it (and another for a backup cam ;-) ) some day when I am rich and famous

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fleet angle is a huge problem with the deuce winch. My wrecker has a simple spring loaded bar across the drum to try to force the cable to roll flat. Of course fleet angle is never an issue with the wrecker though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks