• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need this m1009 authenticated.

overthepond

Hi guys,
First off i have been clueing myself up on the ins and outs of cucv ownership for a while now and its been great fun reading all your trials and tribulations.I aint got a m1009 yet but do have the nearest thing,k5 in camo and pretty utilitarian interior etc
After a long and at times hopeless search for a m1009 in the uk one has popped up on eb*y but it has a lot of civilian stuff fitted to it which has put me off.
Could you guys cast your eyes over it and help me out on it,basically i need to know if its 100% military like it says it is.
Many thanks in advance,Dave.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=110250042500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

uh60

I would have to say it's not. From what I can see there is no slave cable plug or tie down clevis also I dont see the blackout lights. But it might have had some front end work. I think all the 1009 had a antenna mount or at least holes where one had been. You could also check the vin number for a J. Hope this helps you

Crash_AF

That would be a civilian K5, probably a former government vehicle, but not a CUCV. It is missing the second battery on the passenger's side, the shackle mounts, interior is the wrong color, and the previously mentioned missing slave cable and black out light on the grille. It also had all of its civilian badges and an outside tire carrier, which the CUCVs never had.

Later,
Joe

overthepond

Thats my reasons for asking for your help,if this "cucv" was only used as a airstrip runabout by the usaf would it be kitted out the same as its army relative.
It has a lot of points against it at the moment so i'll not jump in and hang back till i get the vin or more info.
Also does anyone have any clues to the holes on the right rear 1/4 and tailgate area,i also noticed the imprint left by badges on the fenders..
Oh i'm intrigued now.. :)

Crash_AF

The holes on the quarter and tailgate were where the outside tire carrier used to be mounted.

The USAF MIGHT have added the brush guard and bumper from a CUCV, but I doubt they would have put that rear bumper on it or moved the tire inside the truck from the rear. I also forgot to mention that the seller says that it has a 4 speed, but all CUCVs have a 3 speed. Only the civilian K5s had 4 speeds.

For the price, it's probably worth it if it runs and drives with no major issues but it is not a true CUCV.

Later,
Joe

overthepond

Re: RE: Need this m1009 authenticated.

Crash_AF said:
For the price, it's probably worth it if it runs and drives with no major issues but it is not a true CUCV.
Later,
Joe
Thats what i needed to know,if it aint the real deal its not for me.
Many thanks for your quick replies everyone,i'll save my cash and keep looking for a true cucv and in the waiting period i'll delve more into the specs and fitments of the m1009 so i dont get caught out again... :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Need this m1009 authenticated.

Get the VIN number, that will tell for sure. I can see the buss bars on the firewall and 2 alts. We can tell for certain with the first few numbers of the VIN.

jimm1009

Need this m1009 authenticated

The VIN is broken down this way.

My 1984 M1009 is 1 G 8 E D 1 8 J X E F 1 7 6 7 8 9
1= made to US spec. (for use in the USA)
G= General Motors
8= Multipurpose vehicle
E= 6001 to 7000 G.V.W.R. - Hydraulic Brake System (hydroboost)
D= Military
1= 1/2 Ton Truck Series
8 = Blazer (model)
J = 6.2 Diesel Engine, Heavy Duty version, 4 bolt mains (C is light Duty & not used by Military)
X = Check Digit (no explanation in Civy or Military manuals for this)
E = Model Year 1984
F = Plant Code (F is Chevrolet, Flint Michigan)
176789 = Production Number (commonly called serial number or number 176789 truck to be made)
All trucks made in the CUCV series were called D-series trucks and had the "D" as number 5 digit.
I suppose it is possible to have a military owned truck without this D but it was made as a civilian truck and was probably locally purchased.
Any else can feel free to jump in here.
Thanks,
Jimm1009
1984 M1009 as daily driver since Nov. 1995 (127,000 miles since 1995 and counting)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks