• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to know what these 60 amp alternators are and from what.

rickf

I bought two alternators and when I got them I kind of recognize one but the other one is a head scratcher. It has the electrical inputs in the center and an external fan on the back end opposite the pulley.IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0026.JPG

And here is the one I recognize, but it has a rough bearing in it, what is the name of the place that sell the parts for these? Southern Automotive or something like that. I can never remember the correct name.IMG_20220621_142310280.jpgIMG_20220621_142255077.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
TRUCK, HMMWV
SHIPBOARD MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT (MHE)
NAVY EXPEDITIONARY PROGRAMS
TRUCK, 5-TON M939 SERIES
TRUCK, VEHICLE SYSTEM, 1 1/4-TON (HMMWV)
TRUCK, FL (M10A) Fork Lift
TRUCK, CARGO, 5-TON, 6X6, XLWB W/E
TRUCK, CARGO, DROPSIDE 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E

rickf

Interesting. I have just never seen one like that and I can't even find a picture of one. I am going to use the other one in my M151 and this odd one I might make into a portable charging stating powered by a small gas engine for off grid excursions or to use as a charger for my many military setups around the house that always seem to need a charge when I need them.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got youngins? Maybe this would work to your advantge:

A buddy of mine rigged an alternator to an old bicycle, to power/charge a little battery in turn hooked to the TV set.

They want to watch something? They have to pay with exercise.

DG

rickf

Got youngins? Maybe this would work to your advantge:

A buddy of mine rigged an alternator to an old bicycle, to power/charge a little battery in turn hooked to the TV set.

They want to watch something? They have to pay with exercise.

DG
Yea, I got youngins but they ain't all that young! they are in their 40's, My oldest grandson is 17. I am pushing 70 so the bicycle idea is probably out.

I could mount it in my M151 but I am leery of that fan spinning right there by the carburetor. Not someplace I would normally be looking out for spinning fans.

rickf

Ok, I was talking to one of the guys from Southern Automotive about that Leece Neville and after I described it to him he said " I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!" "That is an 002AC" They are impossible to find parts for. He told me they used them mainly on the M151 when they were doing the swap from 25 amp to 60 amp. It is very strange that I run a M151 page and I have never seen nor heard of one. But anyway he told me they were going to make parts for them but there were so few of them and no real call for parts so the project died out. He said bearings and brushes should not be a problem but a regulator would be a real problem.
So that Leece-Neville would be dated around 68-72 if anyone is interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks