• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NEED TWO (2) DIGITAL LIGHT SWITCHES FOR HUMVEEs ------------

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: NEED TWO (2) DIGITAL LIGHT SWITCHES FOR HUMVEEs --------

Front Line Military Vehicles just listed them on their site. Google for the info.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

Check epay, Beltfed34 has them for 50.00 I think.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Images54 do you still have the 3-lever switches? I may be interested in at least one of them if they work....

ida34

Re: RE: NEED TWO (2) DIGITAL LIGHT SWITCHES FOR HUMVEEs ----

rmgill said:
Are they technically digital or just electronic?
You do use your digits to turn it on and off. I guess both the electronic and lever switches are both digital then.

Watch out when you buy them. There are small surface mount relays that fry on early ones. I fixed the one that an ebayer dumped on me. Be careful. I bet front line would at least back them as not being doa.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
RE: Re: RE: NEED TWO (2) DIGITAL LIGHT SWITCHES FOR HUMVEEs

it said they work and i installed one in my old M37 and it worked great! but thanks ofr the warning.

- how do you fix a broken one?

ida34

Remove and replace the relays inside. They are surface mount so it takes an experienced hand. I had my uncle do it. He used to have an electronics assembly business. The relays are not cheap. I think I had about $30 or so into the relays. One was obviously fried but I replaced all four while I was at it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I really like them too and have one in the duece. I think the old ones had most issues with not being grounded properly especially in a HMMWV. Mine is second generation I am 99.9% sure but has worked fine in the truck and to me is easer for me to work getting a bit older.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a few years ago you could buy them direct from stewart & stevenson for about $120. the 'relays' are solid state switches and are cheap although they add up. if anyone needs one repaired, contact me.

saddamsnightmare

July 31st, 2008.

AND BE SURE TO GROUND IT!!!! Particularly as the HMMWV uses composites in its construction, be sure to connect the green ground wire on the TACOM switch to some metal part of the frame or cab that has a ground strap attached before you install the switch.....that way there is no static charge on the switch housing to take out the relays!!!! After the ground wire's hooked up you can install the main harness and screw the switch into the dashboard. There should be not problems thereafter, provided you MAINTAIN the ground, and you'll have many good miles of operation.... :beer:

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck...
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 MB

hummer4x4guy

I am on my 3rd of these light switches also and finally this one seems to last. I always hooked up the ground wire first disconnected the batteries then screwed the new light controler in but the first 2 went to pot within months.... But the ease of operation with one hand and at night was worth the cost IMO.
Joel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hummer4x4guy said:
I am on my 3rd of these light switches also and finally this one seems to last......
During the starting and shutting down of an engine, electrical spikes are sometimes generated and electronics are supposed to be off, as is generally known. An electronic switch, which must be on at all times to be turned on in the first place should really be protected by a mechanical toggle switch or similar.
If, for some reason I was stuck with one of the new light switches, I would add a switch (or electromechanical relay) in the circuit to make sure it was off when the engine was started at least....