• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needed: a 24V 1 hp Motor

houdel

I need a 24V 1 hp 3000-3600 RPM motor to build up a prelubrication system for my Deuce. I have searched the web for dozens of hours with no luck. Does anyone have a source for such a motor? I was able to locate an 8000 RPM motor, but that is way too fast to run any hydraulic pump I can find. I could use a starter motor, but I'd hate to cut up a good starter motor to fit a pump to it, don't have the equipment to do so anyhow, and the Deuce starter motor is 8.5 horsepower, way beyond what I need.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: motor

Like I suggested in a different thread, get a 12 vdc starter motor from a junk yard, it can run on 24 volts for a while without a problem.
The ideal pump is the oil pump from a junk multifuel.

houdel

Thanks all for the input. I have checked out the usual sources such as Northern Industrial Tool and Surplus Center, plus the links above, but everything I found was fractional horsepower except for a 1 hp 8000 rpm motor which is too fast. The starter motor concept could work if I can come up with a way to attach a pump to one, but I am somewhat limited equipment wise in my capabilities to fabricate a suitable mount for the pump. The 24V CUCV starter is particularly interesting. The civvie 6.2L starters were gear reduction, does anyone know if the CUCV starters are gear reduction or straight drive?

This thread did get me to look at Surplus Center again and I did find a potential pump motor candidate there, but I have a hydraulics question about that one. It has 5.4 HP 24 VDC motor connected to a dual pump. The primary pump is a high/low flow 3.5/0.9 gpm at 2000 psi max; the secondary pump is 2.6 gpm at 1200 psi max. I am not concerned about the max psi since for all intents and purposes the Deuce lubrication system will present an open flow to the pump, so it probably won't develop any more pressure than needed to overcome the flow resistance of the filters, maybe 10-15 psi max.

I'm wondering if I can combine the flows of both pumps to one output, or remove the secondary pump completely. With essentially open flow, the primary pump should put out 5-6 gpm easily, which is more than adequate to prelube the Deuce engine. Any hydraulics experts out there care to weigh in on this? Here is the link to the pump I am considering. I'll request more info from Surplus Center, but I doubt they will able to provide much more data than what they have in the catalog.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007061015562516&catname=&qty=1&item=9-5390

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you called Groban's surplus? They may have things not listed on their site, and they have lots and lots of DC motors. 800-621-2405 based in Chicago, IL.