• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nellis NV to TX

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have anything at Las Vegas - Nellis (M931?) needing to come to Texas? Will have a half full drop deck coming to TX in the next two weeks. Hoping to share the cost of the ride.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nellis AFB help needed

Hello, I have two M931A2's at Nellis needing a ride to Texas; one starts with a jump and the other does not start. I would be interested in getting one or both shipped to Texas, but naturally cost matters. Do you know anyone at or near the Nellis AFB site who can help with getting a vehicle running and or towing and storing locally??? Please send me an email (joe@czarnik.net) or call or text me (608) 567-8281 Thanks very much! Joe

Attachments

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have no idea what I'm going to do yet, and am behind the power-curve to get these two trucks off of the GL lot.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My load is already here ($1.80 a mile ouch). My plan B if I got in your situation was to call a Las Vegas heavy wrecker service (there are several) and have them Landoll the equipment to the storage lot until I could find a truck coming here. They charge $150 an hour for this. In reality we found a truck coming here in minutes of posting on the load board.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6x6 Las Vegas to San Antonio

OK, that was really helpful. I KNOW that this is going to sound like a Steel Soldiers newbie question, but where is the load board?

Also, would you share the wrecker service that you planned to use and where is the [storage] lot that you referred to?

Thanks again, this is REALLY helpful. (For what it's worth, I almost always fly to the truck, get it running, and drive it home myself)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A load board is an internet app where truckers and transportation brokers get together, such as "getloaded.com". There are numerous of these. You really need a broker working for you to set this up. You can use uship, but that is risky. I recommend truckingdeals.com as a broker. They have moved dozens of mil trucks for me without a single issue. The wrecker in LV that I planned to use was Silverstatetowing.com 702-837-2655. That should be your last resort. The two trucks need to go on a single "stepdeck trailer with ramps" right at Nellis and ride directly to TX. You will pay a minimum of $3.00 a mile for this, more like $4.00. Driving back is nearly the same cost, counting plane tix, taxis and hotels and diesel. Good luck!

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you be willing to accept a call from me? I'm on Fort Sam Houston and have a few more questions about the guys at the site (helpful/not? Can they load a truck if it doesn't start? Do you know of anyone close to that site who might work on the non-starting truck for a reasonable fee? Did your truck start and drive on or did your trucker winch it on?) Thanks much, you've been INCREDIBLY helpful. Joe

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, my load did not come from Nellis so I cannot help with advice there. My load came from the nearby Nevada Test Site. The GL ads for the 931s say that GL will load a flatbed. I would personally go out on a limb that GL and your trucker will figure out how to drive one truck on and then push load the second. Plan b would be the wrecker company. The GL guys will have wrecker companies on speed dial. Call the GL crew and ask how everyone else is dealing with loading the dead 931's, they will know.
Edit: The GL ads for the dead 931's say they will load a flatbed trailer. I think they have two big forklifts that they do this with. The trucks were delivered there from North Dakota and unloaded without being started. I think you are good to go for a drop deck without ramps. There are many more of these than with ramps. Just make sure the trucker can carry 43,000 which is what the pair weighs.

Last edited:

agazza2

I am planning to fly up to Nellis on Nov 1st to pickup my M931. Will be driving it back to Austin. If you need help to tow it off from Nellis on the same day to a local storage let me know. If you plan on driving one back to Texas, maybe we can convoy. Might be worth buying a towbar and drive on and tow the other.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crap, sorry I missed this!!! My trucks are on their way back now (currently in San Antonio) and my challenge is to find a place to unload them in San Antonio on a Sunday (this evening). If you haven't made the trip to Nellis yet, please let me know, because I have a M925A2 in Phoenix, AZ that I have to drive back to San Antonio in the near future. Otherwise, I have A GREAT, GREAT, GREAT trucker option to get your truck out of Nellis (I just did this process last week)! Thanks, Joe

agazza2

Crap, sorry I missed this!!! My trucks are on their way back now (currently in San Antonio) and my challenge is to find a place to unload them in San Antonio on a Sunday (this evening). If you haven't made the trip to Nellis yet, please let me know, because I have a M925A2 in Phoenix, AZ that I have to drive back to San Antonio in the near future. Otherwise, I have A GREAT, GREAT, GREAT trucker option to get your truck out of Nellis (I just did this process last week)! Thanks, Joe

Joe,

I met the trucker that picked up your trucks in Nellis AFB when I was picking up mine. What a great guy. I would like to get his info for the future.

As far as my recovery, things went very smoothly. After spending 1.5 hrs at Nellis AFB doing a full inspection, I started out on the road to Phoenix with a few stops along the way to check to make sure there were no leaks present, and that all the hubs temperatures felt normal. I stayed in Phoenix the first night, but wished I would have drove a little further. After beginning my trip out of Phoenix, near Casa Grande I hear a light squeal noise, so I pulled into the truck stop, and checked everything. Could not find anything wrong. When I pulled out of the gas station with a hard left I heard the sound and then a small pop and it stopped. I think this may have been caused by a stuck or bound up U-joint from when I came over the cattle guard just about where 93 comes into I-17 north of phoenix the night before. (Do not hit this at 55mph, as the back wheels seem to come off the ground) Second day I drove to Ft. Stockton. And then Saturday morning finished my trip into Austin. 20 miles outside of Austin, I started to get a lite chirping sound again. Today I will be greasing all the U-joints. Drained the transfer case yesterday and refilled it, no metal shavings.

As far as the truck. It was a great deal. They did not show it was rebuilt in 2009. It must have had very little use since then, as the motor/trans oil looked like new. It has a sticker on the dash that it was assigned to a National Guard Unit. Numbers on the back of the truck said E-988, and on the front bumper it says WQXL-A2.

If you need help driving the truck back from Phoenix on a weekend, let me know. I pack a rolling luggage full of tools, safety triangles, and glad hand air hose for my trip. Glad I did not have to use any of it, but it is nice to have just in case along that long stretch of I-10.

Allan