• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New acquisition: 1940 Dodge VD-21 Panel Wagon.....1/2 or 1 ton?

dbcolts

I haven't found much info on the 1940 Dodge WD-21 Panel Wagon trucks. This one has "6-lug" wheels. Which I would think are for 1 ton trucks. I think they are 20" rims......not sure yet. I don't have possession of it yet.....and won't be able to run the serial number.....or check the data plate until I get it this Wednesday. Its a nice "desert find" here on the West Coast of Calif. It seems to have a long wheel base.
I've included some pics......it has the rear fenders, steering box, running boards, etc. Its nice that the roof is sound and has a "fitted" metal roof" where the veneered wood roof used to be. Rear doors are complete.....and work. Engine is a "craps shoot".....but does turn over. I have some pics of these being used as Ambulances in early WWII.
img103.jpg
img074.jpg
img104.jpg
1a.jpg
1c.jpg
1bbaa.jpg
1cc.jpg
1ccccc.jpg

dbcolts

Vintage Iron
I don't really know anything about the history of the WD-21 panel truck.....other than it used to belong to one of the local MVCA members years ago. And it has an old Carpet Company sign on the side. We do have it together now.
$aaaDSCF3200.jpg$aaDSCF3207.jpg$b1DSCF3210.jpg$bbbb11DSCF3218.jpg$cDSCF3211.jpg

dbcolts

The 1-ton panel truck wheel-base is 125". I bought it apart, and just finished putting the front clip and back fenders on.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddamsnightmare

October 2nd, 2016.

I believe that that same body was used for the basis of the Dodge carryall station wagon, and possibly a base side (US) Ambulance. In any case it is a very unusual survivor, so do right by it and it will likely do right by you. Good Luck!:driver:

dbcolts

The "one ton" that I have is too long to be the same as a Carryall. Similar.....just too long. The 1/2 ton panel trucks, though, are the same body as the Dodge 1/2 ton WC-10 Carryall and.......its the same as the 3/4 ton WC-53 Carryall body. They used the same body (with some minor variations) on the WC-10 and WC-53. The only difference between the panel and carryall......is the windows for the carryall. Also the panel has doors in the back, where as the carryall has a tail-gate. I've seen the "doors" put on a carryall. So the back opening must be the same on the panel and carryall.
$_57 (18).jpg00j0j_4II6oMIIXlq_1200x900.jpghttn0rf6FGLwnKiLHwrVqAyV2mXeaXtDRhETaqh3d_IE0Xnc3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks