• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New ADDICT in City Code Enforcement

tnttnt187

John, thanks for letting us know about your positive encounter. It's nice to hear a GOOD story about a gov. official. keep up the good work and good luck with your new friend. Tom:)

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goldmine!!!

Sir you live in a wonderful town if you are able to meet in casual circumstances and forge the future of MV's in your town!

Well done and congratulations on your new friendships. And thank you for posting up your experience!

A final note in a different vein: It occurs to me we are kidding ourselves about being the land of the free. Especially when we are in constant stage of alert for being called out by our neighbors.

Rick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

Way to be pro-active and put a postive light on the hobby.....we need more ambassadors like you.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

Thank you, Sir!

For all the banter and fun we sometimes share around here, I truly VALUE the compliments from those I have come to respect.

Whenever we are out in public with our MVs, we ARE ambassadors for the Hobby. (If we fail in that, then we might as well be BigASSadors for it.) Couple that with the concept of being good neighbors and the old Boy Scout "Do a good deed DAILY", and I can almost guarantee that John Q. Public with learn that we are the GOOD GUYS and not something to be scorned or feared.
-----------------

Just this morning, I was getting the Deuce out of the back yard and prepping for some errands. My next door neighbor is remodeling her bathroom and had a pile of old tile, sheetrock, and the fixtures in her yard. So I did the "neighborly thing"... I called over the fence and asked if she needed them hauled off.

(Well, duh! :doh: I already knew that, but it was a pleasant way to offer to do it.)

Her brother is doing the labor, so all three of us loaded up "The Ark" with her junk. She was elated that I would do it, and for her the price was right. (FREE)

Since I was going to the scrap yard anyway, and the City Landfill if just about 3 miles farther out of town,, I figured it was sure easy enough for me to handle. I had some old metal fence material to scrap, so I kept the cast iron tub and sink on board and sold them for $$$ instead of dumping them. What I got for the extra metal wasn't like winning the LOTTERY or anything, but HEY! - When you can offset fuel and upkeep costs, why not!

I figure it was a MULTI-WIN all around:
-Happy Neighbor (BTW: She's a 9-1-1 Dispatcher)
-Happy Neighbor's Brother;
-Happy guys at the City Landfill that loved the way I climbed the Deuce out of the PIT without using their "roads" (sorry no pics). It's one of the few places around here wth any REAL terrain - This is FLAT west Texas after all;
-Happy guys at the scrap yard who ALWAYS drool on the Deuce when I show up;
-Happy wife - I cleaned up our yard AND the neighbor's yard all in one quick project;
-Happy Fuel Tank - the scrap metal $$$ ALWAYS goes into the Fuel Fund;
-Happy ME - I got to "play" with the Deuce and bring some JOY to others.

Ambassadorship is that easy... If you don't already do things like that.... Well.... WHY NOT?

:driver:

Last edited:

kastein

Awesome! I am glad to hear you have an ally in the town... and that the police are on your side!

I am similarly fortunate. Even in this people's republic of Massachusetts, I managed to find a pretty friendly area. I keep my 5 ton parked on a private dirt road that borders the back of my lot, my neighbor to one side is a vet and a truck driver and keeps his truck parked on the same road and my neighbor on the other side is a straight up redneck, his first comment on seeing the truck was "dude, you gotta drive that over something, I want to see what it can do."

(I ended up using it to pull a pair of 4 inch trees he wanted gone)

A

A/C Cages

Im guessing my town wont deny them since our mayor owns one and even drives it to city hall once in awhile. Job security says dont deny your boss of his truck?

JeepMan

Cold warrior, you shoulda taken her along for the ride !! Think how'd it be if the truck was 'topless' with the wind blowing her hair around !!
Of course the first time you save a 'complainers' butt in a flood or you take thier kids soccer team to the local ice cream stand with all of them hoot'in and a holler'in they might change thier mind.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next chapter in this story is beginning to unfold.....

Over the weekend, the husband of the Tom Green County, Texas Tax Assessor/Collector died. Ronnie Glenn Jetton was just 59 years, 2 months and 27 days old when a brain tumor got him. It was just a few short months from diagnosis to death. Services will be held on Saturday, July 16th. Our condolences to his wife, Cindy (Tax Collector) and their entire family.

FYI: In the state of Texas, each County Tax Assessor is responsible for the county Vehicle Registration Office - It was Cindy who was so helpful with our Deuce registration as a Texas Former Military Vehicle (one of just a few in the county).

Ronnie was a life-long auto and vehicle enthusiast, mechanic, and restorer. He is well known with local and regional car clubs (Mustang, Corvette, etc.), motorcycle clubs, antique car groups, low-rider groups and the whole spectrum of such organizations. Everyone in the county who has, in the last decade or longer, registered their vehicles under Cindy's purview. Cindy has asked our funeral home to contact these groups so that Ronnie can have "one last ride" in his honor. She has specifically asked that the Deuce participate. It will be a privilege to do so.

I say this with the utmost respect....
I kinda figure that when the "grand mistress" of vehicle registration ASKS for MV participation in her own husband's funeral procession, then the "official" attitude concerning MV's in Tom Green County, Texas is quite favorable.

Ronnie was a good and decent man who will be greatly missed. We pray that one day we'll be met at the Pearly Gates by him in his personal "heavenly ride".

I'll let y'all know how Saturday's funeral services and procession goes.

gijoe13

May he rest in peace and that will be a true honor for you to accompany him on his last ride. God Bless and my prayers to his family and friends.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next chapter in this story is beginning to unfold.....

Over the weekend, the husband of the Tom Green County, Texas Tax Assessor/Collector died. Ronnie Glenn Jetton was just 59 years, 2 months and 27 days old when a brain tumor got him. It was just a few short months from diagnosis to death. Services will be held on Saturday, July 16th. Our condolences to his wife, Cindy (Tax Collector) and their entire family.

FYI: In the state of Texas, each County Tax Assessor is responsible for the county Vehicle Registration Office - It was Cindy who was so helpful with our Deuce registration as a Texas Former Military Vehicle (one of just a few in the county).

Ronnie was a life-long auto and vehicle enthusiast, mechanic, and restorer. He is well known with local and regional car clubs (Mustang, Corvette, etc.), motorcycle clubs, antique car groups, low-rider groups and the whole spectrum of such organizations. Everyone in the county who has, in the last decade or longer, registered their vehicles under Cindy's purview. Cindy has asked our funeral home to contact these groups so that Ronnie can have "one last ride" in his honor. She has specifically asked that the Deuce participate. It will be a privilege to do so.

I say this with the utmost respect....
I kinda figure that when the "grand mistress" of vehicle registration ASKS for MV participation in her own husband's funeral procession, then the "official" attitude concerning MV's in Tom Green County, Texas is quite favorable.

Ronnie was a good and decent man who will be greatly missed. We pray that one day we'll be met at the Pearly Gates by him in his personal "heavenly ride".

I'll let y'all know how Saturday's funeral services and procession goes.
The Funeral on Saturday was well attended.
Many of those with very nice classic cars were genuinely appreciative of "The ARK" - a Deuce "in the rough".

A funeral director from another funeral home with who we "cooperate" loaned his White Corvette to lead the procession. The City requires that for processions to "run red lights" a private excort must be employed - they provided half a dozen excort motorcycles and, while they normally lead only to the edge of the City Limits, for Ronnie's Funeral they took us the whole distance to the outlying community of Grape Creek, TX (about 15 miles out US87). They kept the speed to about 35-40 mph and held traffic at bay the entire trip.

Here are some pics of the procession and the cars....

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the procession, I was the last of the classic cars. Everything following me was "normal" in comparison......

More pics....

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dodge man

Originally Posted by [B said:
phil2968[/B]
I'm glad you have things so well. Here in Polk County Florida anything with 3 axles is considered a commercial vehical. That really messes me up as commercial vehicals are not allowed to be parked in a residental area. Bummer, I own 3 of them!

Wonder if you can successfully challenge that? Since you are not commercial (I assume) how can your vehicle be commercial? Just pondering.
My county also forbids anything with more than two axles in a residential area. In fact, that seems to be a common law here in Fla although a lot of areas don't enforce it. I don't think there's much chance of challenging it since it's a general zoning ordinance and actually isn't specificly linked to "commercial vehicles" (that's just sort of assumed). However I did talk to my county commissioner and he seemed to be open to the idea of revising the ordinance for collector type vehicles. However I ended up getting an M-37 instead so I never pursued that avenue.

Orionspath

Great Posting Cold Warrior! I happen to be one of those Code Enforcement (though New Construction) MV Owners here in the City of Alexandria Virginia. Although I keep "Sandy" parked infront of the closest VFW post, I too know that most God fearing patriots appreciate us "Steel Soldiers" who participate in and support parades like the annual George Washington Day Parade in Febuary. Not to mention the $th of July Parade 134 miles away in Bethany Beach, Delaware.
Local City Ordinances and Laws prohibit commericial vehicles from parking overnight on city residential streets, though nothing that I have inquired about prevents a privately owned, licensed vehicle from being parked in a driveway or street. Matter of fact, two summers ago, one of my inspectors hit me up on the radio and said there was a camoflaged duece parked on the street in old town. After a few minutes in city hall that morning finishing up with a New Construction meeting, I found myself rushing the door to get to the reported location. I was just beside myself when I arrived at the condo building on Cameron Street and Henry (US 1), to find a Texas tagged, M35A3 less the crew cab doors, parked alongside the curb. I just couldn't help but wonder of his journey up from TEXAS!
After several pictures and placing my business card (along with a picture of my truck and a short note) several of my coworkers showed up to get "tailgate training" on the subject vehicle. (sorry guys no pictures currently available).
I know! worthless with out pics!
I caught the fever several years ago after wanting one for years. The proverbial watershed opened up after the first duece! 1988 M35A2C USAF picked up from Camp Lejuene, N.C. in spring of '08. Second and Third, 1969, 1971 M35A2 w/w from Harrisburg, Pa. in Fall '08. Multiple M105A1 and A2's from Harrisburg, Pa. and Richmond, Va. That in turn got me into several M101's then generators...........You all know how it goes!
I have met the best people being interested in this hobby. I have attended the Rally in Syria, Virginia and have been fortunate enough to develop relationships with several of you Steel Soldiers!
Gotta hit the rack as it's getting late. Keep it going and don't forget, not all of your local Code Enforcement Staff understand the hobby. They are charged with enforcing locally recognized policies and ordinances. Typically it is a complaint from someone who just "doesn't get it" about MV's. Best advice: Maintain your dignity, be polite to your neighbors and keep your vehicles legal. Be proactive. Open up the dialogue with your local enforcement officers and get them involved early on. Sometimes your best defense is your initial offense!
Keep her at 2500rpm!
Cheers!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Posting Cold Warrior! I happen to be one of those Code Enforcement (though New Construction) MV Owners here in the City of Alexandria Virginia. Although I keep "Sandy" parked infront of the closest VFW post, I too know that most God fearing patriots appreciate us "Steel Soldiers" who participate in and support parades like the annual George Washington Day Parade in Febuary. Not to mention the $th of July Parade 134 miles away in Bethany Beach, Delaware.
Local City Ordinances and Laws prohibit commericial vehicles from parking overnight on city residential streets, though nothing that I have inquired about prevents a privately owned, licensed vehicle from being parked in a driveway or street. Matter of fact, two summers ago, one of my inspectors hit me up on the radio and said there was a camoflaged duece parked on the street in old town. After a few minutes in city hall that morning finishing up with a New Construction meeting, I found myself rushing the door to get to the reported location. I was just beside myself when I arrived at the condo building on Cameron Street and Henry (US 1), to find a Texas tagged, M35A3 less the crew cab doors, parked alongside the curb. I just couldn't help but wonder of his journey up from TEXAS!
After several pictures and placing my business card (along with a picture of my truck and a short note) several of my coworkers showed up to get "tailgate training" on the subject vehicle. (sorry guys no pictures currently available).
I know! worthless with out pics!
I caught the fever several years ago after wanting one for years. The proverbial watershed opened up after the first duece! 1988 M35A2C USAF picked up from Camp Lejuene, N.C. in spring of '08. Second and Third, 1969, 1971 M35A2 w/w from Harrisburg, Pa. in Fall '08. Multiple M105A1 and A2's from Harrisburg, Pa. and Richmond, Va. That in turn got me into several M101's then generators...........You all know how it goes!
I have met the best people being interested in this hobby. I have attended the Rally in Syria, Virginia and have been fortunate enough to develop relationships with several of you Steel Soldiers!
Gotta hit the rack as it's getting late. Keep it going and don't forget, not all of your local Code Enforcement Staff understand the hobby. They are charged with enforcing locally recognized policies and ordinances. Typically it is a complaint from someone who just "doesn't get it" about MV's. Best advice: Maintain your dignity, be polite to your neighbors and keep your vehicles legal. Be proactive. Open up the dialogue with your local enforcement officers and get them involved early on. Sometimes your best defense is your initial offense!
Keep her at 2500rpm!
Cheers!

Orionspath:
Thank you, and thanks also for the "insight" from within the world of CODE ENFORCEMENT.
If' your profession ever has state, regional, or national conferences, maybe you can "present" something to your peers to help educate them in the "fine art of MV Addiction."

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Next Chapter in the Saga....

Well, I've waited about posting this as it was been pretty tentative for a while.

While everyone was gathering at the Funeral Home for the procession (and Ronnie's Last Cruise) several of the Car Club Members clustered around me and started asking lots of questions about The ARK - our Deuce.

One of them asked if I had a trailer to go with it.

I replied, No, but I'm keeping my eyes open for one and might bid on one soon.

To which he said: I've got one.... Do you want it?

Me: How much do you want for it?

Him: Make me an offer...

Me: I'd rather see it before I make an offer. I feel that would be the best for the two of us.

About then, it was time to saddle up for the Funeral Procession. I gave him my card with my cell number and hoped he was serious adn would call me.

My hopes were satisfied when, on the next Thursday, he called and we "got serious" about seeing the trailer and making an offer, etc.

For the rest of that part of the story, jump over to this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/72817-m105-inspection-checklist.html

Well, the trailer is now in our yard, and it's time to take care of the paperwork.

Here's where this whole thing kinda comes together....

This trailer's Title is screwed up.... It was traded for firewood, it was passed along to settle a debt, it was traded in another firewood deal, and now it's in my hands. Those previous "trades" were all the kind of "buddy" transactions that were going to place the trailer into intended work on farms and ranches. The Title didn't follow the hardware.

So now, I get to visit with the Widow/Tax Assessor-Collector (In Texas they are in charge of Vehicle Titles and Registrations for each County) and see how good she is at fixing paperwork. I'm also trying to track down the other "traders-of-the-trailer" to see just where the Original Title might be lurking. I've also reviewed the TxDMV.gov website to research the BONDED TITLE PROCEDURE, just in case that's the route I have to take.

Considering that I paid just $150 for the trailer, and had just a 17 mile uneventful recovery, I'm quite willing to spend some time and effort making this trailer "legal".

It's so curious how these events have come together to put this trailer into our motorpool. First the Code Enforecement Guy, which snapped over to the Tax Assessor-Collector, then to a Car Club Member who had a trailer that he needed to get rid of.... His wife wanted it out of her yard if he wasn't going to use it - It was too big for his pick-up to pull with a load of firewood..... I'm amazed!

In my humble opinion, this is the sort of good thing that falls into the lap of the Good Ambassadors of this world. I'm not bragging, but just imagine whether it would have happened if I hadn't made some friends along life's journey.

[thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks