• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New considering the M1028 as a daily driver

Torque655

I saw an add on what appears to be a lightly modified M1028 for $5200 that I'm considering

Specs on ad:
6.2L 160hp
Dana 60 front LSD
14 bolt rear detroit locker
4.56 gears
4" lift
36" Bear claw tires
reman TH400 trans
12K# warn front winch
4" bushwacker flairs
painted white
17K original miles

So if I bought this, it'd be a daily driver for at least 1 year, maybe more.
Things that seem to be changed for a daily:
Add stereo
Add AC next spring(summer in Georgia is Hot)
one of the following for decent diesel mpg
-either add taller gears 3.90 or 4.10 front/rear
-convert to an overdrive trans...read 7004r worked well
-add gear vendors overdrive

Any opinions on best MPG option of those 3? Going to be doing a 800 mile drive to chicago for Christmas and possible thanksgiving so the trans or gearing change would be taken care of shortly after purchase. My commute to work is currently 30 miles round trip.

Also, if anyone could point me to a thread describing the basics of what to look for when inspecting a 6.2L diesel, I'd appreciate it.

Jeff

Last edited:

Torque655

101coolcars,

were you able to install the nv4500 yourself or have a shop do it? I'd prefer the stick, but I'd assume that be more expensive to have a shop do than another auto.

I'd have to outsource the install for now due to living the apartment life/not having the space/tools/experience to make a quick trans swap. I was informed when I re-did the intake manifold gasket on my dakota that I'm not allowed to do repairs in the parking lot. If I had previously done a trans swap before, I'd probably just go head and attempt to knock it out but this would be my first time so it likely wouldn't be a fast process.

I'm thinking to toss a shift kit in the 700r4 as well if i went that route. This truck would would be used to tow a car maybe 1-2 times per year as well.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a car shop but I did the swap myself, it is a fairly big job but carefull planning makes is easier. Do some searches for the swap here and at pirate4x4 to read about it. Advance adaptors makes the conversion bellhousing. The 4500 is the best combination for 4wd, highway use, survivability Ect. I've done 700r4 swaps too, easier, not as capable as the 4500 though.

i suggest running the 35"tires and just slowing your highway speeds down until you get real used to the truck. Get everything ready then do the manual swap in a swift military fashion.

Keith_J

You want an overdrive transmission, either a manual or an automatic with lockup torque converter. Slippage in the TC heats the fluid and kills any overdrive economy gains. These are draggy trucks, even more with a lift. The 700R4 can work but you need the cable bracket, an odd thing to find. But a 4l80 needs a controller and tach input. Works fine with the transfer case speedometer cable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks