• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Houston TX!

hkaiser83

Gentlemen,

Thank you for allowing me to join your site! I am a 29 year old from Houston. I am married with 2 children. I currently work for Chevron out in the Gulf of Mexico. I have the odd title of Offshore System Admin. I unfortunately never served in the military. Almost joined 3 times but always I fell in love with a woman. Sigh. However, I never lost my love for it. I am a bit of a car guy but up till now it's been devoted to muscle cars. I recently bought a 2011 GT500 but it was almost a Hummer H1. The more I learned about the Hummer the more I learned about it's bigger siblings! I guess you could also call me a prepper of sorts.

I do not have a truck yet (I have a duramax but I mean a REAL truck!) but what I have my sites set on is a M911! What I would like to do is get an M911 and fabricate a box for the back. Make it some sort of fantastic manly camper.

Thanks!

Hans

hkaiser83

I think the M911 is 9 1/2 feet wide. Sounds like a lot of truck and a lot of hassles for a camper.
BTW, Welcome.
I haven't had a car project yet that wasn't a hassle! But if you are refering to it not fitting down trails and stuff, I'm fine with that.

After I buy my wife the house she wants I will get the green light for this. This might be a year or two down the road. I might switch over to wanting a M813. There is just something extremely manly about the M911 that draws me in.

It's not so much the trails, but I think you would be an oversize vehicle on the highways. I don't know all of the trucking laws throughout the country, but I think that any vehicle over 102" would be restricted. The M911 is a massive truck and with mods it could probably get under width requirements, but it still weighs 20 tons and the operational costs would be insane. It is good to think about your options when starting into this hobby. I went in the opposite path, I started with interest in the G506, 1942 Chevy, 1 1/2 ton, 4x4, then got hooked on the Deuce (M35A2) and continued on to the 5 tons (M39, M809 & M939 series). I almost got into the 20 ton trucks, but I dialed that idea back and I'm pretty glad that I did.
My best advice is that you get around some of these trucks and talk to the owners. Every truck has positives and negatives, but I have yet to find an MV that I don't like.

two.fiveM35

Hans, welcome to the SS. All the info you will ever need is here. There are a few guys around town that are SS members and have green iron, unfortunetly we rarely get together. There is a MV rally that is in the works for March in Bryan, Tx., do a search so you can be added to the list.

Eric

Last edited:

hkaiser83

It's not so much the trails, but I think you would be an oversize vehicle on the highways. I don't know all of the trucking laws throughout the country, but I think that any vehicle over 102" would be restricted. The M911 is a massive truck and with mods it could probably get under width requirements, but it still weighs 20 tons and the operational costs would be insane. It is good to think about your options when starting into this hobby. I went in the opposite path, I started with interest in the G506, 1942 Chevy, 1 1/2 ton, 4x4, then got hooked on the Deuce (M35A2) and continued on to the 5 tons (M39, M809 & M939 series). I almost got into the 20 ton trucks, but I dialed that idea back and I'm pretty glad that I did.
My best advice is that you get around some of these trucks and talk to the owners. Every truck has positives and negatives, but I have yet to find an MV that I don't like.
Thanks for the tip! I rather like the idea of starting smaller, it would hurt the pocket book far less and I could make sure it's the route I want to take. Might just get me an M35A2 to start since they are so cheap!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks