• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from NY

RockinRam96

Hey all. New guy here from Western New York. I am here looking for information on cargo trailers. I have had an M101A2 for a while, which I put modern LED lights on, a 3,500 lb axle under with electronic brakes and also reworked the hitch and tongue to better suit my needs. I mainly use it to haul my wheeler to hunting camp and also get mulch in the spring.

I recently bought an M1102 Amy tank support trailer to begin building an overlanding camping trailer out of. Plans are to build a suspended structure to mount my rooftop tent. As for the bed I am hoping to build a roll out drawer system in the bottom half and have storage for other items on top. I plan to have the original trailer tarp reworked to create a tonneau cover. However, my first task is to replace the surge brakes with electronic brakes, ditch the run flats and and rebuild the hitch. Any advice or suggestion on brake conversion parts are welcome!

Have a great day!

IMG_9228_Original.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey all. New guy here from Western New York. I am here looking for information on cargo trailers. I have had an M101A2 for a while, which I put modern LED lights on, a 3,500 lb axle under with electronic brakes and also reworked the hitch and tongue to better suit my needs. I mainly use it to haul my wheeler to hunting camp and also get mulch in the spring.

I recently bought an M1102 Amy tank support trailer to begin building an overlanding camping trailer out of. Plans are to build a suspended structure to mount my rooftop tent. As for the bed I am hoping to build a roll out drawer system in the bottom half and have storage for other items on top. I plan to have the original trailer tarp reworked to create a tonneau cover. However, my first task is to replace the surge brakes with electronic brakes, ditch the run flats and and rebuild the hitch. Any advice or suggestion on brake conversion parts are welcome!

Have a great day!

View attachment 917335

View attachment 917336
Welcome to the Outfit!

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan for your overland camper...

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have a great day!

Why replace the surge brakes? IMHO that is one of the best features on those trailers. A properly maintained surge brake system is fool proof and operates so smoothly you hardly realize that trailer is behind you. Just get a pintle hitch adapter for your tow vehicle and you will be well ahead of the game.
View attachment 917335

View attachment 917336

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why replace the surge brakes? IMHO that is one of the best features on those trailers. A properly maintained surge brake system is fool proof and operates so smoothly you hardly realize that trailer is behind you. Just get a pintle hitch adapter for your tow vehicle and you will be well ahead of the game.

RockinRam96

I get it. But I have many reasons why I think electronic brakes are the better route.
1. I don’t care for all the banging around the pintel hitch does.
2. I want to convert it to a 5 bolt pattern to match my Jeep bolt pattern. Carry two spares, that way I always have a spare and interchangeable wheels.
3. Weight.
4. Complexity.
5. Parts availability on the road.
6. Opens the tongue up for mounting accessories.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get it. But I have many reasons why I think electronic brakes are the better route.
1. I don’t care for all the banging around the pintel hitch does.
2. I want to convert it to a 5 bolt pattern to match my Jeep bolt pattern. Carry two spares, that way I always have a spare and interchangeable wheels.
3. Weight.
4. Complexity.
5. Parts availability on the road.
6. Opens the tongue up for mounting accessories.
Im not positive you will ever find a 5 lug drum/disc to ever fit on that big spindle so shy of cutting the spindles off and welding new ones on and that axle being torsalastic ( rubber filled tube ) your going to be heating that up to burn a new spindle in ! Your really going to butcher up a great trailer but its yours and you can replace the slide in pintel bar on that trailer and put a 2in ball slide in tube to keep that brake system the hubs are gm 8 lug so try them to get your heigth down and those 37s off

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Site. I'm Western NY also. Long time lurker, newer member. I should follow suit and make an introduction post to get my count up.
Cheers Sir. Update on the over landing trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks