• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Gauge mount Enclosure, attaches to steering column. W/new EGT & Boost Gauges

peashooter

I wanted to start a thread to both show some new gauges I purchased from Westach and to get some feedback and ideas on a steering column gauge pod/cluster enclosure I am building for the Deuces, may fit the 5 ton as well.
Recently I decided to get an EGT/Pyro pyrometer and liked the full sweep easy to read Westach 2CAU2-30 gauge that both matches the military look and makes it easy to quickly glance at and see the temp. I asked Westach if they offered a full sweep 0-15psi boost gauge that would go with this Pyro but they did not. I didn’t want a 0-30 or 0-60 boost gauge which are common, because I don’t think the deuce even puts out over 15psi so I knew it would be difficult to read the gauge if it only were to ever move between the first ¼ of the scale. A few hours later I heard back from Westach that they had done some experimentation and were able to make me a matching 0-15 psi boost gauge. So I purchased them and here they are. If anyone else is interested, the new part number for the boost gauge is 2C4-71, its not on their website yet but you can call them up and order it. I was a little surprised and disappointed however that the Westach gauges have a plastic bezel and body. Every gauge I have ever bought was all metal so I didn’t even think to ask before I purchased.

I’ve also started to build some gauge/instrument enclosures that clamps onto the steering columns so that its easier to see some of the more critical gauges and it gives a good spot to mount additional lights, and other features people might want. After a few prototypes I’ve come up with this basic design. This design features a sloped backside so that you can still read all your dash data plates. My first 2 designs were rectangular and would block part of the gear/speed data plate. I am currently building them one at a time to folks’ requests but assuming there is enough interest I’d like to have a run of these made from a sheet metal company. I’ve already gotten quotes and come up with a nearly final design that allows for many options and will come powder coat painted in a textured black. The minimum order quantity is 25, so I’m wondering if anyone has interest in purchasing these, and also I’m looking for more design & feature ideas and suggestions before I would pull the pin and place that large of an order. Please leave any constructive suggestions for improvments to the design below.
Here are some features of it as it stands today:
-Cutouts for 2x 2-1/16” gauges, ventilation holes on the bottom, 2x holes on backside for gauge wires to enter/exit
-Black textured Powder coat painted aluminum enclosure with Pem nuts for threads.
-Comes standard with 2x zinc plated clamps to mount it to the steering column (billet aluminum version would be optional)
-All hardware is stainless steel, with lockwashers, except front panel screws are black zinc coated so they have a more military look.

Options I’m thinking of at the moment:
-The front face can have up to 2 military style lights/warning lamp cutouts and include plastic plugs, & black zinc mounting screws (Red light shown is for a low air warning light)
-CNC machined billet mounting clamps.
-24v-12v converter (allows you to power 12 volt items such as aftermarket gauges like the 12v Westach EGT shown in the picture, or charge your cell phone). Converter is waterproof, shock proof, and puts out 5amps/60w at 12vdc. It has auto protect for over voltage/current/temperature/short circuit and will reset when normal conditions are restored.(this is one of the few parts/options not US made)
-Marine Grade 12v power point (cigarette outlet type receptacle). These can get wet, and are corrosion resistant.
-Marine grade Dual USB power point (looks like the cigarette outlet receptacle, but allows you to plug your cell phone or gps directly into it to charge rather than needing a separate adapter, it puts out up to 2amps at 5vdc which is USB voltage)
-Keyed switch to help deter theft/accidental starter engagement. The keyed switch is intended to go between the starter button wires so when turned off the starter button will not function. Key switch is wash down safe, USA made, and the key can be removed in both on and off positions.
-Several LED indicator light options. A couple different size and color lights could be mounted onto the faceplate. The LED’s are 24-28v, waterproof, have a black bezel, and are daylight visible so they are about 10x brighter than typical LEDs so that you can tell they are on even when the sun is shining on the dash. Some examples of use for these would be for various warning lights, or putting one or 2 of these on the faceplate to remind us when our blinkers are on since many of us forget to turn them off after a turn.

Everything shown and optioned is intended for harsh weather and can take wet environments.

Again I,m basically looking to see if there is enough interest to make it worth doing a bulk purchase of a custom designed enclosure. If there is, I want as much input on desired features from the people interested in buying a steering column gauge mount as possible.
I expect the selling price for just the enclosure (painted, w/holes, w/clamps, & shipped) to be roughly $120. The electrical package (12v converter & power point) would probably add $40. Key switch $30, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My D-turbo puts out 15 psi when sufficiently motivated. I understand your thinking regarding full sweep, but I like the fact that my Westach EGT gauge has the yellow range straight up at 12 o'clock. I do not need to read numbers; a quick glance shows the pointer position and if it is straight up I have to ease up a little. Coincidentally, the same is true for the boost gauge unless the engine is working hard.

peashooter

My D-turbo puts out 15 psi when sufficiently motivated. I understand your thinking regarding full sweep, but I like the fact that my Westach EGT gauge has the yellow range straight up at 12 o'clock. I do not need to read numbers; a quick glance shows the pointer position and if it is straight up I have to ease up a little. Coincidentally, the same is true for the boost gauge unless the engine is working hard.
Do you recall what westach egt you went with? Also have you turned up the fuel at all?
I think if I were to do it over, I would probably not get the westach again simply because of all the plastic on it, I'd probably go with VDO

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

peashooter

okay, I made some more of these and some changes as well. Sounds like a some people wanted just a single gauge and some space for auxillary switches. Also found some nice LED lights to use in place of the Military indicators which allow me to put a custom label on. I have access to a laser engraver so I can make plastic yellow label with black lettering or a black anodized aluminum label with the silver aluminum lettering as shown below, labels can be customized. All screws are now stainless and black coated stainless, billet clamps are hardcoat anodized black (paint sticks better to it), all units would include 24-12vdc converter and 12v socket, have waterproof (face side anyway) 20amp 28v toggle switches (black boots also if chrome offends you), ventillation holes on the bottom in front and back. Also found today that these should fit the 800 series 5 Ton trucks. Here are some pictures of the latest prototypes and ideas. PM me or check the classifieds if you are interested, otherwise I still welcome ideas or suggestions on the design.

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
peashooter, this is well thought out and appears to be superbly executed. It looks like something the military could have developed (for about $2000 a piece) as an upgrade, if they still had our trucks in service.

peashooter

peashooter, this is well thought out and appears to be superbly executed. It looks like something the military could have developed (for about $2000 a piece) as an upgrade, if they still had our trucks in service.
No kidding, I've worked for a couple defense contractors. The government is great at 1 thing.... spending money! After all an Elephant is just a Mil-Spec mouse!

peashooter

I sold my Westach gauges and decided to get VDO ones instead. Here is a pic of an enclosure with the VDO Vision gauges. The VDO gauges come with lights, and are not all plastic as the Westachs were. The Pyrometer kit comes with a 12' thermocouple too so that was an advantage over the 4' that westach offered that may have been just too short.
By the way, the enclosures now have an internal circuit breaker, and come painted the carc 383 color and wired with the military packard connectors so they will plug right into a Y connector on the #27 circuit.

Attachments

Last edited:

brianp454

When will you make these boxes available? Are you willing to use me as a guinea pig to work on it with you? I'm very interested and would like a 0-15psi boost gage and EGT gage. My truck is desert tan, so I'll have to re-paint it...

peashooter

When will you make these boxes available? Are you willing to use me as a guinea pig to work on it with you? I'm very interested and would like a 0-15psi boost gage and EGT gage. My truck is desert tan, so I'll have to re-paint it...
I actually made 12 of them and sold them in the classifieds. There wasnt enough interest to have gone ahead and had a special order of these made. I've got enough components to make a few more, if you are interested PM me. It doesnt include the 2 gauges however, just the openings for them (everyone wants different brand and types of gauges).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks