• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New GL MEP -016D

truck1

Well I finally acquired a MEP-016D from GL. It came from HIll AFB in Utah. Sure is a crapshoot buying sight unseen, but that makes it fun I guess. After a visual check of the obvious search for missing parts,cut wires etc.,checked the oil and was super clean-no water. The unit was never drained of fuel or oil. Main fuel tank is plastic and was empty-it needs a minor flush.Air cleaner is new. Top fuel tank has minor corrosion above fuel level. Control box had signs of critters.Blew that out gently with compressed air. All looked intact. 1.2 hrs. on the meter.Fresh CARC on unit.Looks to have been converted to Yanmar, run for an hour and warehoused.Unit started on 1 pull and is showing 120V @ convenience outlet and @ L1 and L2.Have not load tested yet.Engine runs perfect! Sets @ 60 H. Phase selector seems to be stuck on 120V single phase.Did not want to force it .Any tips on coaxing it into the other settings? I guess I might attempt applying a little Kroil to the switch with some dis-assembly. Not bad so far.

Attachments

Isaac-1

No real tip on the reconnection switch other than potentially trying to spray some contact cleaner in it, but unless you have some special need like a 240V well pump I feel 120V single phase only is the best and safest setting to keep one of these small 3-4KW generators in as most household 240V loads draw more power than these generators can produce, also when in 120V only mode you don't have to worry about load balancing and potentially overloading one of the 120V legs since it will tend to engine limited.

Ike

truck1

Thanks again Ike, got the switch to function with some Kroil and gentle persuasion.Load tested with a heat gun, and dry vac - no problems.The plastic bottom tanks leaks from the drain hole-threads are buggered.I'll seal that up permanently.Everything seems to work great. Fuel transfers from bottom to top tank as it should. Cleaned filter bowl and added new gasket and screen.Voltmeter is bad- erratic reading,got wet. Got a spare you like to get rid of? Overall I'm very happy for 501$.

truck1

image.jpgimage.jpgI think this unit is ready for service. Thanks to all the threads concerning the MEP-016d. After removing the upper fuel tank and pressure washing followed by muriatic acid ,it cleaned up rather nice.Tested the float switch on the bench and it seemed to work as far as continuity , but on the unit it would not handle voltage. So I bypassed it and installed a momentary toggle switch. This seems to work well enough. You can monitor fuel level in the tank through the gauge on the side ( yellow tube) while operating the switch without removing the fuel cap. This also eliminates full time pump operation which I like. So as far as the fuel system it is stock except for the float switch. I also added the load center from Surplus Center which is a great deal for 8.95 plus shipping. Good quality components -perfect for this application. Also built a bracket for it out of angle iron-simple fab job and made connections with 10-3 SO cord. I went with a 30amp twist lock instead of the supplied 120/240V receptacle for ease of installation . Any 240V loads will be wired direct to the split bolt lugs. Again thanks to all who posted their experience with this unit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Isaac-1

It is looking good, I too was originally going to use one of those surplus boxes on my MEP-016D, but ended up going with a pair of standard 20 amp 120V outlets on a drop box with a 20 ft cord as my MEP-016D would most likely be used for portable demands, spare backup generator for around the house, loan out to relatives in case of major outages, etc..

Ike

p.s. you may want to replace the fuel level gauge tube, they start out clear, but quickly yellow with age like yours.

Jimc

I bought a couple of those boxes from sirplus center. They seem really nice and a steal also. I am going to put a 30ft cord in both of mine so i can connect to my 003.

1800 Diesel

truck1;1340831.... I also added the load center from Surplus Center which is a great deal for 8.95 plus shipping. Good quality components -perfect for this application. Also built a bracket for it out of angle iron-simple fab job and made connections with 10-3 SO cord. I went with a 30amp twist lock instead of the supplied 120/240V receptacle for ease of installation . Any 240V loads will be wired direct to the split bolt lugs. Again thanks to all who posted their experience with this unit.[/QUOTE said:
I just received a couple of those load centers but didn't know about the small connector on the back of the housing. How did you connect the wiring from the generator output cables to that connector?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jimc

I havent done it yet but im removing that connector and sealing the hole. I will put a hole in the side and put a plastic connector that will hold in some soow cable. Either that or ill make up a sheetmetal box that the panel part mounts into so it can sit on the ground near where i might be using it. I want to use it like an extension cord off the generator rather than mounting it and having to run an extension cord over to the gen to plug in....if that make sense

1800 Diesel

I havent done it yet but im removing that connector and sealing the hole. I will put a hole in the side and put a plastic connector that will hold in some soow cable. Either that or ill make up a sheetmetal box that the panel part mounts into so it can sit on the ground near where i might be using it. I want to use it like an extension cord off the generator rather than mounting it and having to run an extension cord over to the gen to plug in....if that make sense
Called SCenter but they have no specific part # or source for the connector. I just figured out I'll use crimp-type spade connectors after I identify which terminal is which. I plan to put the panel inside some sort of enclosure anyway, but still was hoping I could buy the right connector instead of rigging it...thanks.

Last edited:

Jimc

Compared to the rest of the box the connector looked kinda cheap to me and i wouldnt want anything sticking out of the back like that. I guess it depends on how you plan on using it. You know if you pull the face off and cut a square hole in the front cover on the generator dist box right where the fuel and lift data playes are it could be mounted right there and wouldnt interfere with the output sw or the transformer. I have one apart. The inside is pretty darn simple. If you pull the face off you will see how its connected.

PETE BALLARD

Well I finally acquired a MEP-016D from GL. It came from HIll AFB in Utah. Sure is a crapshoot buying sight unseen, but that makes it fun I guess. After a visual check of the obvious search for missing parts,cut wires etc.,checked the oil and was super clean-no water. The unit was never drained of fuel or oil. Main fuel tank is plastic and was empty-it needs a minor flush.Air cleaner is new. Top fuel tank has minor corrosion above fuel level. Control box had signs of critters.Blew that out gently with compressed air. All looked intact. 1.2 hrs. on the meter.Fresh CARC on unit.Looks to have been converted to Yanmar, run for an hour and warehoused.Unit started on 1 pull and is showing 120V @ convenience outlet and @ L1 and L2.Have not load tested yet.Engine runs perfect! Sets @ 60 H. Phase selector seems to be stuck on 120V single phase.Did not want to force it .Any tips on coaxing it into the other settings? I guess I might attempt applying a little Kroil to the switch with some dis-assembly. Not bad so far.
May i ask what did you pay for this unit? looks pretty nice!

truck1

First as to the Surplus Center box, I removed the supplied connector, and sealed the opening.Then a 1" Romex clamp type connector(metal) was used to attach the 10/3 SO cord to the box. A hole the diameter of the connector was drilled in the lower sloped portion of the plastic. It is quite secure with the mount made of angle iron fastened to the generator rail with through bolts. And also fairly light weight. Also the box was rewired to accommodate a replacement 30amp 120V twistlock plug,since I run a 90 ft. SO cord drop box with a 2 gang outlet setup. Any 240V loads are wired direct to the generator split bolts. Also I can plug my generator direct into my inverter to charge my batteries on my solar setup at my off grid property. I bid 501$ on GL auction out of Hill AFB in Utah and won. Good deal I think. But keep in mind the 10% user fee,tax for Utah and shipping (260$) to CA. Still all things considered a good deal to me. A new Yanmar 3K unit is 4500$.2cents

Isaac-1

I agree these MEP-016D's are some of the best deals on smaller diesel generators out there, I bought 2 last summer, paid $350 and $450 (cheaper one one went to another forum member as-is at cost), both were part of the same auction batch where several were being sold, the more expensive one looked slightly better and showed near 0 hours on the meter, which turned out as not true, someone had installed a DC meter to an AC connection and killed it. The big thing I would say to be cautious about is the wiring in the control box, these generator heads and control boxes are Vietnam era and much of the wiring in there is likely original, and prone to fatigue. Mine even had the metal wiring diagram plate sitting loose in the control box on top of the voltage regulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks