• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from Arkansas

kmw

Hello all!

I've been a gear head since my parents got me a clapped out MGB as my first car (I still have that). Practically every vehicle I've owned since then has been Brit iron....or more correctly aluminum. These days my family are big Land Rover folks, in to overlanding. My daily driver is an early Range Rover, my wife has a five speed Discovery, my current project is a 1969 Series IIa Safari.

I've always wanted something military, and with my taste in street machines I've looked at a lot of ex-MOD hardware, wishing I had the money when Ferrets were cheap, even considering an Austin Gypsy...though I have to admit what I really drool over is the FV432 family of APCs....

That said, any of those machines would be merely toys. My interest in the overlanding "lifestyle" (if it's appropriate to call it that) makes me want something I can "do something" with. I've seen a number of MVs converted for expedition use, from Land Rover ambulances to Mogs to US 6x6s....

....and it's the latter that interests me. Growing up in a military family I've always had a fondness for the US 6x6 trucks, and the ones I've seen converted to expedition/overland use are impressive (and almost get as "good" fuel mileage as my Range Rover!)

I live on 20 acres, have a fairly well equipped garage and a small machine shop. I campaigned a rally car for a season; I'm fairly comfortable with fabrication and maintenance.

It seems the political climate is such that the time to buy may be now. I guess that's my introductory question: Is now the time to buy? I've seen other hobbies hampered by government regulations...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Now is a great time to buying into the MV hobbie. There still is a good supply of Deuces coming out of the Military but that supply will not last forever. At some point the supply will dry up and the prices will rise.

These vehicles are so simple to work on you will be right at home. The parts are just bigger and weigh more.

hklvette

:ditto: Also consider that you get quite a lot for very little. Yesterday my fiance remarked how the deuce (with XLs) was able to go through places that her tractor would dig down to the axles in. As long as you aren't in a hurry, I would say that there are few things that the Deuce can't do.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. There are some beautiful expedition 6x6 trucks on this site; im sure you will get plenty of ideas.[thumbzup]

combat32

Welcome aboard, buy a deuce quick, just bought my second and looking at a 3rd.Check out this site armvpa.com I am a member as well as several others here.

Last edited:

ARYankee

Welcome to SS!!!!! Now is a great time because of the amount of deuces out there and the price. If you ever need any help or want to check out mine, just shoot me a PM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks