• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from Illinois

Biggles

Hi all, greetings from Central Illinois,

I'm also brand new to the forum and I am looking at buying my first MV. I am thinking about a GL Deuce and a half out of Iowa but the auction ends tomorrow. Any hints? tips? anything I should look for? They all say they were driven on to the lot so I assume they can be driven off of the lot. But I don't know and the auction ends tomorrow.

50ChevyFrank

I'm about 65 mi straight east in Sullivan. My trouble is I live in town and have no place to keep a big truck like a deuce. :cry: I guess I'll have to stick with my 3/4-ton Chevy. :razz:

Biggles

here's what you do. Buy a deuce and put it in the front yard diagonal and take a few wheels off and let it sit on blocks.........wait for the complaints to roll in.........then put it back together and park it someplace batter. then they will just be so glad that it isn't on blocks diagonal across the sidewalk that they wont mind!

Tibby

Biggles . . . I know where you will find a deuce much closer to home. It don't know that it is for sale or not, but it might be if you make an offer. If you are familiar with the north side of Springfield, cruise up Veterans Parkway and head north towards Sherman. Vancil Contracting is on the right side of the road between the Color Plant Road and Dirksen Parkway intersections. Turn into their drive/lot, and you will see a deuce parked behind the fence. It has been there for over a year and doesn't seem to have moved. I have thought about asking about it. There is also topless deuce on the north side in their fenced area, but you can't really get a good look at it.

I live 4 1/2 miles straight east of Sherman . . . in a dome home.

Biggles

Biggles . . . I know where you will find a deuce much closer to home. It don't know that it is for sale or not, but it might be if you make an offer. If you are familiar with the north side of Springfield, cruise up Veterans Parkway and head north towards Sherman. Vancil Contracting is on the right side of the road between the Color Plant Road and Dirksen Parkway intersections. Turn into their drive/lot, and you will see a deuce parked behind the fence. It has been there for over a year and doesn't seem to have moved. I have thought about asking about it. There is also topless deuce on the north side in their fenced area, but you can't really get a good look at it.

I live 4 1/2 miles straight east of Sherman . . . in a dome home.

I might cruise by there at some point and take a look. I can definitely see how this could turn into a "collection of deuces" from the initial idea of "I want a deuce and a ahlf"

chvss65

Hello guner51
I heard about the ducw's over there, just a few weeks ago, dont know if they be around for a while or if someone told me because they saw my deuce ? i was told that he didint even want to talk about selling them, dont know for sure ? I should find out first hand and pass it on to SS members. It would be a shame to see them rot.
Looks like the Illinois MV guys are adding up !!!

Tibby

I might cruise by there at some point and take a look. I can definitely see how this could turn into a "collection of deuces" from the initial idea of "I want a deuce and a ahlf"
I see you are coming around to the green way of thinking. Your disease is progressing nicely.

To complement the deuce collection, I recommend stopping by Midwest Truck and Auto Sales at 420 Dirksen Parkway in Springfield. They have a camoflauge MOFAB (Mobile Floating Assault Bridge/Ferry) sitting there. Kind of like a DUKW, but larger. It weighs only about 54,000 lbs . . .

Biggles

I've already looked at that thing. As cool as it is I don't think I can justify owning it yet.........but when I think of a need for it............

I see you are coming around to the green way of thinking. Your disease is progressing nicely.

To complement the deuce collection, I recommend stopping by Midwest Truck and Auto Sales at 420 Dirksen Parkway in Springfield. They have a camoflauge MOFAB (Mobile Floating Assault Bridge/Ferry) sitting there. Kind of like a DUKW, but larger. It weighs only about 54,000 lbs . . .

Tibby

Any place that can have flooding has an automatic need for a MOFAB. There have been floods around here. It is a perfectly valid reason. Just imagine the attention a MOFAB would get at the annual Cruise for Charity and the Route 66 Mother Road Show. If I could afford it, I would do it. I wonder how many privately owned MOFABs there are out there. You could have the prestige of membership in a very select club.

I have visited Mid State in Auburn a few times on Sundays, just to poke around and see what I can see. Yes, they do have some military stuff there. They even had a 25 ton crane. I haven't been down there lately. They did have, and perhaps still do have a rather unique (as far as I can tell) US Army utility crane. One I have never seen in any book. It was once advertised for $1200. I have thought about getting it just because it seems unusual enough to be worth saving. I'm not sure how to transport it, because the boom is a fixed length one and can't lower that much and might not clear some power lines - not without disassembly. The bad news is that I have been warned to stay away from them. Apparently they have a price for whatever, and if you don't walk in with cash in hand to meet their price, they don't have time for you. I have seen in person some of what they have advertised, and the prices seem high for the condition. It would be a matter of is it really worth it to you. I have been thinking about that utility crane for a year and a half . . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks