• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy from New York

YankeeDuece

Long time visitor, first time poster. My name is Dave, and I have a SS site addiction.
Currently I am hunting for a Deuce and a half and all of the threads have answered my pre purchase questions up until now.
The truck that I am currently interested does not have a PTO. Question is how difficuilt is it/cost to add a PTO for a future winch? Is it a bolt-on attachment to the transfercase or much more involved then that?

mangus580

Dave, the PTO isnt that hard to install. From what I have read, the hardest part is making sure its shimmed properly. Yes it is a bolt on attachment to the transmission.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Welcome! I too hung around here until I got lucky enough to purchase my deuce. What an interesting world of BIG GREEN IRON!

And the people I've met and talked to here remind me of the comraderie that USED to be standard in Harley Owner Groups. Now the HOG chapters are all about money and whether you have it or not. I'm not trying to talk down to those people. It's just I LIKE working on my bike. Sold it to buy the deuce. After 15 years of riding the same Harley, I finally had to give it up (long story).

Again, welcome. And good luck on your hunt. BTW, my deuce came without a winch also. That's one of the few things I want to add. I may have found one and hopefully will be able to pick it up shortly. Stay tuned, as I can't HELP but post my 'upgrades' here. jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Magnus580 said, the PTO and entire winch assy is a bolt on. Buying the winch kit piece by piece probably won't net you any savings and finding say, just a PTO shift lever might be hard. I would shop for a kit or find someone scrapping a winch truck. Sam Werner in Tracy CIty TN used to advertise them complere for $800. The place has been sold and is now called Ottocraft. Don't know if Otto Bailey has any left or what the current asking price is. BTW, the PTO for the front winch is bolted to the transmission. There is a transfer PTO but used for the the tankers, polesetters and pipeline trucks. Oh yeah, the deuce wreckers too.

YankeeDuece

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Knowing that adding a PTO will not require a a driveline tear-down will make for a broader field of choices.
BTW Wallew, My 2003 Heritage Classic took me to Milwaukee and back for the 100th Birthday, good ride, lots of people to talk to. However, you are right, not a lot of old iron underneath young riders. Guilty!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks