• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy From Texas

Mandalore

Hello all,

I am new here. I have seen your site now for a little while and I look in and read about people who seem to have the same interests as me. I started looking for a H1 style hummer about 8 months ago but everyone I saw was majorly expensive so I ended up buying a H3 for a nice price. I still want a hmmwv and have been kicking around the idea of buying a kit from Urban Gorilla and working on it but to me it just wouldn't be a real hmmwv. I also have wanted a deuce and a half for a while but I think I have talked myself out of that. Well now that I have rambled on forever, Hi all :) I am happy to be here.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Many people here have not yet bought their first Military vehicle.

If a M35 is not for you, there are many other military vehicles available, like the M7xx series, Dodge power wagons, and the Chevy/GMC type of suburban and pickup truck vehicles, "CUCV" and M10xx models. There are several forums regarding those and the vehicles need not be too costly. Less costly than an H3 most likely, but some here have spent $K rebuilding modifying and restoring them. Many people have the deuce M35 or other models because they like a very capable truck but that is not for everyone.

Mandalore

Well I read a post that some one had that had a truck like the one in your avatar pic that moded out the box for a camper. I am thinking that would be cool. Dont get me wrong I would love to have a deuce but the only reason I say I might stay away is cause I wouldnt be able to use it very often. I have wanted one for a long time but could not see anything I would use it for outside of maybe once ever six months to haul a couch or something a family or friend just bought. But seeing the redo into a camper that kinda makes me want one again. I have been looking on the Govt liquidation site for 6 months now at them. They are never in Tx or NM though :(.

reloader64

Welcome to the site. As far as using your deuce, to me it is like owning a gun-you don't need a reason. I bought mine because it is fun to drive. If there is a local MVPA chapter close to you, talk to them about any activities they participate in. Our chapter (Lone Star MVPA-Austin) participates in nearly 20 parades and other events (airshows, etc.) per year.
Of course, now it sounds like I'm trying to talk you into buying a deuce:???:. Whatever you get, have fun with it. You will like this forum. I have learned a lot about my truck here.

Scott

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I thought I'd have no use for a deuce and it would be an impractical toy. How wrong I was! It's paid off in innumerable ways.

nofearnohope

Welcome to the site. Like it has been said before, there is always a reason to own/use a deuce. If you don't mind the drive, we are having a Texas MV Rally here in Bryan the weekend of March 13th and 14th. Feel free to come down and check it out.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You wouldn't belive the things you can use a M35 for. Just this weekend i found a new use for mine. I needed to get on the roof and couldn't find my ladder (kids geese!) . So i parked the truck next to the house and climbed up on the cab then steped onto the roof. Worked out great.

Mandalore

Thanks guys. I am torn though on what project to do first. Start on the HMMWV project or the M35 project. Both would be useful not sure which one i need first or if I got with the M35 first, if the HMMWVs will be available/more expensive later. And as for the get together I may try to get down there. Its really up to the patients if I get to come down or not. But regardless I got to start saving cash again to get into it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The west Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes a fellow Texan - and in our "Neighborhood" too:!: Welcome aboard:jumpin::cool: Find a bunk, stow your gear and prepare to get underway:driver:

Lubbock is just up the road a piece from San Angelo (3 hours civilian, 4-5 in a Deuce).

Stay in touch:cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks