• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with a few questions from PA

boys4545

I'm new at this but I'm interested in a troop carrier for just private use. Just play. Nothing commercial. Wife gave the go ahead

1. do you need a CDL for a 5 ton in PA?

2. I'm looking for the least kind of maintenance, if that could ever be so. 5 ton or 2 !/2 ton?
I'm a family doc with a very busy schedule. I do have a commercial diesel mechanic and bay if needed just down the street. I'm not intertested in GL. My interest is driving it, not fixing it. Do not want to be over my head. Trying to cover the bases before the purchase.

3. How do you guys store your vehicles?

I thank you guys for your insight in advance.

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers... The cheapest and easiest learning experience for you to get into the MV world would be a M35A2 deuce and a half. Its the most cheapest and toughest. Real cheap and easy to fix and really no special tools required. Just your basics. Its also a multifuel, which means it pretty much runs on anything but piss. I know guys that have been running waste motor oil in their trucks for years with no harm... Research the M35A2 and you will like what you find...

197thhhc

I think the least maintenance will probably be one of the newer 900 series trucks. However when they do break they are more expensive to repair. Lowest all around cost will be a deuce. Like gungearz said, but they are also the least forgiving and toughest to operate without some mods. The deuce is still my favorite. It keeps me in touch with my inner caveman.

eagle4g63

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, I have a deuce and can say I love it and it is a easy truck to get into. It also won't cost you an arm and a leg to work on it. There are also plenty of these in the private hands for sale instead of going through GL. As to a 5 ton and cdl..........some states require it and some don't that one will have to be answered either by your BMV office or another member in PA........the Deuce however does not!!! another good reason behind the deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks