• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with a plan

blazersbkewl

So, I've been lurking around this forum for a month or so, gathering information and learning stuff in general. Really great site you have here! Some great MV's I've never even heard of and some ever better stories to go with them.
Anyways, ever since I've owned my S10 Blazer, I've been dreaming of getting it a big older brother. I decided awhile back that I'd love to have a M1009. My plan is that in a few years, after I'm out of college, I'm going to get a loan and buy a M1009 from down south somewheres and drive it all the way home with the girlfriend, making stops along the way at friends and families' houses (since my family lives everywhere along the east coast).
That being said, I plan on buying the cleanest M1009 I can find. I hate body work. I understand nothing is perfect, it's just that, being from New England, I hate the site of rust and would really like to own a vehicle that doesn't have any.

Part of the loan I would get would go into getting some upgrades for it.. Namely, soundproofing and bedlining the interior and exterior (hood, inner fenders, etc), any parts that may be missing that need to be replaced (I want it to have that tough look that all MV's have), I want to get a 3-4" lift, tires that complete the aggressive look I'm going for, something close to what THIS guy did would be great too (he had some really good ideas), maybe a winch if funds allow, and some creature comforts like radio/speakers.

So, how crazy is my plan of buying a blazer down south and driving it all the way back to MA? Am I out of my mind or is it do-able? Any suggestions?

And, as I said, I'm not looking for a vehicle yet, that'll be in a couple years, so please, don't tease me with offers of CUCV's! I already want one soo bad.

And, just for anyone who likes the S10's, here's some eye-candy, my current truck

Attachments

seano11

Don't take this the wrong way but if your gonna take a loan out to get a truck for under 10 grand you really should not be getting it till you can buy it cash. Loans will just get you into trouble

Cletus09

To find an m1009 in that condition is definitely gonna take some searching. Anyone who puts that much to either preserve one or restore one isn't going to be to willing to let it go cheap.... sorry to be a discouragement... I think it is do-able but its definitely going to take some work and $ :)

blazersbkewl

Don't take this the wrong way but if your gonna take a loan out to get a truck for under 10 grand you really should not be getting it till you can buy it cash. Loans will just get you into trouble
I understand where you're coming from with this(school loans won't be fun..). But for now, this is just a plan that I've been thinking of. I'll worry about money down the road. I really just wanted to get some ideas together on how best to approach this.

To find an m1009 in that condition is definitely gonna take some searching. Anyone who puts that much to either preserve one or restore one isn't going to be to willing to let it go cheap.... sorry to be a discouragement... I think it is do-able but its definitely going to take some work and $ :)
Now, I'm not looking for a showroom quality truck here, I'm sorry if it came off that way. I don't mind doing some fixing on my own. I'm going to be an electrical engineer, so re-doing some electrical work won't be an issue. And I have a very trustworthy mechanic to handle things I can't do myself. I'm really just looking for a rust-free truck or one with very minor rust. You have to remember that anything in New England that's over 5-6 years old has rust/rot. I'm just trying to prolong the inevitable for as long as possible. Basically I want a truck that doesn't need any major repairs right off the bat. And about the price, well I had that figured already with the loan. I'm not expecting to pay less than 5k for a truck.