• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with M45

Crazyguyla

Here's a little info on my duece

Year - M45 1957 w/winch - winch MIA
Mfg - Curtis Wright
Engine - OA331
Equipment - HARRIS MODEL J-210-FED, 210 CFM, 100 PSI truck mounted air compressor, gas engine

I don't know much about the history of this truck except:

it went through a rebuild in the late 80's
it has been sitting in the elements for 10 yrs, evident from all the size of the rust holes in the cab/ fuel tank.
the winch was pilfered some time ago along with the front bumper (someone had fun with a torch)
Everything works except the brakes (all steel lines are rusted - rear half of the trunk has new lines )
the truck belonged to Civil Defence at one time - it such a lovely color

Things that need fixing:

The cab, the floor is rusted through, but the support beams are still sound. it looks like new sheet metal can be welded in place.

doors all rusted through, picked up some good doors, but they need glass
window frame is ok, but the channel for the soft top is rusted off - any ideas to fix this?
Exaust system gone rusted away between the manifold and the muffler
Rear wire harness dryrotted, front harness replaced
Tires showing signs of dryrot
It could use a new paint scheme

Engine runs strong, clutch engages, tranfer/ transmission shift smooth

The truck's going to be easy to fix, the compressor on the back is another story.

Eng - Mil Standard Inline 6 cyl engine, 1V Carb, Magneto Ignition.
Mfg - Waukasha

Air Compressor - Rotery Vane ( about the size of a transfer case )
Storage tank - 400 Gallons ( i think ) i haven't been able to look at it in over a year.

The engine turned over slowly when i first purchased the truck and i pulled the sparkplugs and poured marvels mystry oill in all the cyl, that was about 2 yrs ago ( being deployed sucks )

i don't know the condition of the compressor since the engine wasn't running when i last worked on it.

Does anyone know what kind of engine i have on this?

I found TM number for the compressor, TM 5-4310-207-10, -20, -20p, -35, -35p but i have yet to find someone that has it in reprint or original. it's been obsolete in the military since Mar 85.

I really would like to have the air compressor working when i get the truck finished. i'm going to try to post some more pictures

Thanks,

Marcus

Desert Rat

That's a really cool truck! Could you do a favor for us and include your city and state in your signature please? Thanks!

Crazyguyla

Does anyone have digital copy of the OA331 TM aprts and maint?

I'm home on leave from Iraq, i'll be going to the truck to take pictures. I'll post some improvements i've made and pictures of the air compressor.

what to do with a 210 CFM compressor?

Crazyguyla

Matt,

The OA331 is the engine for the truck. what's powers the conpressor in the back is still a mystery. I'll be checking on the truck in the next couple days, so i'll get all the info off the data plate on the engine and check the compressor for a plate too. Hopefully with all the wet weather down here, the wasp have gone elsewhere to find shelter... i hate wasps LOL

Jed

Thanks for the help with the manual.

red devils dude

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I still cant find it da$# I had it(because I almost bought a gasser)I'm going to shoot
myself in the foot(that will kill my time in the service).

rdixiemiller

Cabs aren't too hard to find, it might be easier to swap a good one on rather than spend a month welding up a rust bucket.
If your PTO is still there, winches are about $275 from Adelmans (sp?).
I would be really concerned about your compressor tank, have it professionally inspected before you try to start it up. If the tank blows, there will be nothing left of your truck, you, and anything within 50 yards of ground zero. Tanks that have been sitting often get water in them and rust.
I am going to be in Evansville Indiana next week, and Desert Rat and i are going to try to make it to Howard Hammonds. Let me know what parts you are looking for, I'll see what I can do. I'll price a complete cab and sheet metal package, if yours is eaten up with rust (sounds like it is) this might be the best bet.
Window frames are common items, I bought a spare for $20.
Good luck!
If you need to call me, try 770-301-9991 (cell)