• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy...

Meatchops

yeah... no real mechanical history here. i've managed to successfully replace the trans governor gear(my bro got a burr up his ass and decided to do the hard part while i was at work) and radiator in my '84 M1009 though. i'm now prepared to take on the monumental task of changing the trans fluid and filter. after i replaced the radiator and was looking into the trans problem (governor) i found that the trans may be a little bit more sensitive than i first thought. any info/tips on transmission service would be helpful - the obvious is more than welcome. - Matt

84cucv1ton

Hi there matt, here is how i did it. worked well. the way i did this was to put a drain plug in the back of the pan. small drill bit. 1/2 a inch up put tape around the bit so it cant go in very far. VERY careful doing this. i would think if you hit the valve body you will have a problem. catch pan under the th400. grab your rag and drill put a small hole in the back of the pan. let it drain. take out the bolts. put them in a safe spot. get the new drain plug. drill the right size hole in it. get a bigger drill bit by hand and turn the hole a few times to get ride of the burs. bolt in the drain plug and clean the pan with break cleaner. take off the old filter and put the new in place. put the gasket on the new pan. put the pan in place, get 2 bolts in with your hands to hold it in place. torque the bolt, i will look and see what the number is to torque it down i cant think of it. and fill it up. i will see how many quarts.

this is what i did worked me. like the drain plug. less mess now when its time to change. hope this helps

84cucv1ton

the th400 takes 7 quarts. cant find the torque numbers just yet. also, should say put the rag around the drill bit so you dont get it everywhere.

Bozor1000

I usually just tighten the bolts in a cross pattern back and forth. So I don't over tighten the bolts, I usually grab the rachet head and tighten it that way. By doing this you are not putting more torque than necessary as if you were tightening it up by the handle. Welcome aboard. I live over in Riverside off of the 60 fwy and Pyrite by the pick a part. But I have to add! nopics How about some pics of your M1009?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks