• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New in AK

Odie

I recently moved to Eagle River, Alaska and have gotten bit by the military vehicle bug. I ave been a US Army Soldier and NCO for 20 years now so I guess it fits. While talking with a friend recently I was discussing the two M151s he had at his house and he offered one to me. The price was the gas it took to trailer it down from Fairbanks, about 350 miles. So without further ado, here is the rather sad looking beginning to my project. She will run but cuts out after about 30 seconds so troubleshooting that currently.

20130109_114039.jpg20130109_114052.jpg

Sitting in front of it is not the engine from my jeep, but a spare that I picked up for $200 that was removed from a running and driving one the Army was cutting up. It is a 1962 according to the data plate. The front fenders have been horribly repaired previously and I will be working to rebuild that as it should be. There is liberal other body damage but limited rust. It originally had part of a hard top kit installed that after discussion with my spouse, we decided that had to go, we are going to run a canvas top instead. I will add more in the appropriate area of the forum as this build makes progress.

Thanks for viewing.
Mike

Welcome aboard Odie! Was stationed at Fort Richardson from 1967 to 1969 and was with HHC 19th Aviation Battalion. I ordered aircraft parts (MOS: 76T20) for the U-21A Beachcraft twin turbo (Airforce designation C-12)U-1A DeHavilland "Otter", U-8's and parts for the M35A2 "Deuce", M37, M151, M62 and M715 military vehicles. I have friends in Anchorage who are coming down to Arizona to "Snowbird" next Thursday and picking them up in Las Vegas and will probably be back in Alaska in late April or early May. Also have friends in Haines, Alaska that operate the sled dog tours in Juneau and Skagway. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck and hope you "POST" updates with pictures from time to time on this site. How about titling a thread for your project "Coming Back To Life In Alaska" An M151 Resoration. My M35A2 which I no longer have came from Fort Richardson and was marked and listed as being with the 172d Support Group. It came to Montana from the DMRO at Elemdorf AFB in 2001 and bought at a Montana state auction the same year by someone in Helena. I had it until last year and sold it and my deuce was named "Cheechako". It's found a good home and it's close by so I can still see it from time to time. Again, "Good luck in your project!! elkhunter

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and good luck with your project! Seems like you started out on the right foot financially. We love pictures here on S.S. When asked for a preferred duty station, I filled in "Alaska"! The Army sent me to Ft. Hood. Go figure that one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol Lots of good people here and TONS of information!
God bless,
Tony
:-D

Scarecrow1

Welcome to the club Mike it looks like you have a fun project to keep you busy this winter . Please keep us up dated with the progress and take plenty of pics .........

Odie

Thank you all for the warm reception. I will be posting a build thread for this one in the 151 room. There will be many pictures and as many updates as possible with details of the work completed as it occurs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks