• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New in Austin Texas

2old2slow

I'm new to the site and wanted to say hello. I'm in the Nat Guard here in Austin. I'm the Safety Officer for my unit and actually took my road test in a HMTV tractor pulling a 40 ft flat bed yesterday afternoon through town, didn't hit one curb. This wasn't my first time driving. My motor NCO thought I was crazy for being a Warrant Officer and wanting to drive. When he asked what I wanted to drive I pointed to 1 of the 3 old M818's we have in the back of the motor pool. He just laughed.

I am interested in building a Bobbed Deuce. I have a line on a deuce that has a bad engine. The price is right but I'm worried about trying to find a replacement. Any help would be awesome.

Later
Wayne

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. There are quite a few members in the Austin area. As far as engines, often people ask as much for a good engine as you can buy an entire truck for. I'm sure you know the TXNG has been steadily sending deuces to Ft Sam in San Antonio for disposal. They typically bring around $2000 lately. Might be cheaper than fixing your deadline truck. By the way we need pictures of the HMTV, not sure what the "H" means.

saddamsnightmare

May 2nd, 2010.

2old2slow:

Cheers for joining the Steel Soldiers:p! Not all WO's are crazy for wanting to drive OD iron.... Heck, I know one Field Artillery Officer (Vet) here (in Paris) who would drive M35A2's and M818's in Vietnam... Almost giot pulled over by an MP for speeding through a village while taking a deuce on an emergency shell resupply run... Told the MP if he was on that step in 5 seconds, he'd be going on that run also.... End of sentence...MP jumped off!

Thanks for your service, and if you're ever up here at Camp Maxey Training Center, look me up... I can get you a ride in a Vietnam Era M35A2 and a 1963 Swiss Unimog, forerunner of the SEE's and much more entertaining to drive.....
Have a good weekend,

2old2slow

NDT Thanks for the welcome and the advice. The vehicle I was road tested on was a MTV M-1088A1. I always mistakenly called them an HMTV, because they are HEAVY for sure.

I think I have included pics.....we will see when I hit send.

saddam Thanks also. There should be a pic of one of our M-818's if the magic computer stuff works out right.

Wayne

Attachments

2old2slow

This is my play ground. My unit is located at the Austin airport. The next time you are waiting on your flight just look out the Southern windows past the your aircraft and we are on the other side of the ramp.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. I drive down 51st past your unit pretty much every day!

There is a local guy who has some engines to sell, he'll run it for you before you buy it so you know what you are getting. Give me a PM and I'll get you his info and arrange an introduction. He can be kinda grumpy at first if he doesn't know you, but is a really nice guy.

Cheers

cessnatwin

Wow, that is cool, please post some more pics, show us your repair shop, and let those of us who aren't familiar with it see a glimpse of your world. thanks welcome and I appreciate your service to this country!

2old2slow

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

reloader64 I'll try to attend the June meeting of the MVPA, I'll at Ft Bliss for gunnery at the end of the month.

cessnatwin I'll try to take some pics, but we have to be careful about content.

Later
Wayne