• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008 with Headlight issues

ChrisG

Well went home at lunch and it appears it is the dimmer switch that is bad. Did the diagnostics ie. removed plug and jumped the connections and both lights work high and low beam...now i just have to get part and should be good to go.
Big thanks to Warthog...and also cucvrus for helpful pms.

ChrisG

Well iam happy to report that the dimmer switch was the problem. Picked one up got it installed and everything is working as it should. I did have small issue with headlight fuse acting up. While i was under there and tried lights for first time i had no lights but noticed the fuse seemed to be shorting out so i straightened out the insert tabs in the fuse panel and it didnt do it again. Probably headlight harness upgrade next. Thanks again warthog the troubleshooting procedure you provided was instrumental in solving this problem.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got it fixed and I could help.

The loose fuse is a common issue.

nedbread

Hi,

Following up on this thread, I do not yet know where to look for part numbers (I need the dimmer switch too). Is that a standard part or where can I find out what to order?

Also,
what does a dimmer switch do? Seems odd, you can't dim the headlights.

Best,
Ned

cucvrus

Headlight Dimmer Switch - 1984 Chevrolet K30 Pickup 4WD | O'Reilly Aut
This is what you need. Autozone , NAPA. Nothing special about it. 1984 K5 Blazer or K30 pick up. Cars and trucks of the same era all used the same switch. Good Luck. Pay attention to the parts you remove on the upper column. This is a detailed repair and it must be done right to work correctly.

nedbread

Headlight Dimmer Switch - 1984 Chevrolet K30 Pickup 4WD | O'Reilly Aut
This is what you need. Autozone , NAPA. Nothing special about it. 1984 K5 Blazer or K30 pick up. Cars and trucks of the same era all used the same switch. Good Luck. Pay attention to the parts you remove on the upper column. This is a detailed repair and it must be done right to work correctly.
Thanks, I ordered that. Hopefully that is what I need as I was having the same problem as OP (just headlights out, everything else works, but they light up with 12V, and the yellow cable to the dimmer switch has 12V).

cucvrus

It has 12 volt going in. Does it have it coming out. Does the switch work freely? Sometimes you can get them to work by repeatedly working the dimmer. That will help diagnose the issue. Of course without the patient in front of me for examination I am making a guess. Nothing more. Grounds and hacked wiring can all play into the equation. Good Luck. Report back I am interested in learning the outcome. Thank you.

cucvrus

I knew you didn't have to drop the steering column. I am glad it all worked out for you. The dimmer switch is the problem 99% of the time if you have electric going into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks