• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M998 Owner - Suffolk, VA

arggonuts

Hello All,

The old man and I (I'm 30, so it's not one of those) just got our `86 M998 delivered to the house. Plans are to make it a parade type show vehicle and just to have one for fun. Personally, I'm curious if we can get it street legal in VA and get another one for myself for some off-road fun and alleviate some of the beatings I give my DD `99 Jeep Wrangler.

Little bit about us, I'm active duty Coast Guard (12 years) and Dad is retired Coast Guard (30 years). My hobby has been tinkering with cars for most of my life, but just recently got into the heavy stuff with my Jeeps recently. Done a some fab work here and there so I'm not too intimidated on making this M998 a bit more utilitarian.

I signed up to fully soak up the knowledge available on here and hopefully one day be able to provide some of our own one day.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome arggonuts from Cape Cod, MA. I am also retired USCG, retired 2006. Good luck with the new truck and getting it on the road if possible. This site has all the information you will need. Look through all the tech manuals as they answer most repair questions. Give us a few photos as we love them here. I am currently attending the military truck rally in Weare, NH. Hope you enjoy your truck as much as we have ours.

arggonuts

Just attached the pics to the original thread. Dad retired in 2012 as an ELC4; he was a big LORAN guy if you ever crossed paths with those types. I'm and ET1 and currently underway on one of the cutters out of Portsmouth, VA. Itching to get back home to start tinkering.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Was MKC underway a lot and made CWO and went marine safety route to stay home more. Retire out of MSD Cape Cod. Truck looks like a great project. Good luck underway. Coming home was always the best!