• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member and new M211 owner

wylde

Greetings all, My name is Wylde....

Live in Piedmont NC (Kernersville).

Just purchased a M211, its not stock so i have lots of questions.

So far i have replaced all the dry rotted rubber, cleaned and repainted all the steel wheels on the old girl.

Started her up for the first time in over a year since i parked her on the farm after having her dropped off when purchased.

Someone has canned the old auto transmission and replaced with a 4 on the floor manual tranny.

The first issue, which has lead me down a mechanical Rabbit Hole.

The Carboratur, i think is wrong for the truck.

Need pictures of a true m211 carboratur, PLEASE!

The carb i have is a Rochester 7005604, not the Holly!

I understand that military M211 had two barrel Carb with corresponding intake manifold!

My truck has a Rochester 1bbl carb, with mono bbl intake manifold!

Can someone shed some light on this, PLEASE !

Next, i was told, i may have a civi 302 engine and tranny not the mil spec engine and hydro-auto-junk!

I cant go much more into detail, unless you call or text me with detailed questions.

336-817-4811 please text first.

Thanks for the first of many many more questions!

One last....with my intake issue, is a 1bbl ok, or should i return to a 2bbl.

Also, i hear whisper of converting to a gas V8......i have even more questions on this topic!

Thank you.

gentrysgarage

Welcome!

I am glad you followed my advice! The guys here know there stuff!
As Plowboy told me, and a reminder get the technical manuals at the top of this forum and read through them, they helped answer my questions..Thanks Again Plowboy!
An pictures tell 1000 words, this would help them to help you
And lastly, I think there is a M135/M211 carb on ebay right now...check it out!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to the family, 211 G749

First off, Welcome aboard to the Steel Soldier Jolly Green Giant addiction academy...that's the SSJGGaa.

As Doc Henderson says, you may have a CCKW 40's transmission slid onto a 302 shaft.....or not. The 302 engine is stamped so that will be easy to find. Your combo would be one of the few that we've talked about and never seen so here's where you can help us out. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

You may need to write your own manual because a lot of things would be different than the original info. It sounds like you've had it running but it's not happy so that is where we should start.

Here is a peak at the top of the intake manifold so what you're describing sounds original.

P4222090.jpg

Not much to see with the stock carb because of the house that covers it but here is a break-down.

P4222089.jpg

The 302 likes fuel but at low P.S.I...... There is a test to see how much fuel is coming out of the tank so walk us through one item at a time and the SSJGGaa will help you out.

USMC 00-08

Glad to see you made it over here. Pictures would help us a lot on answering your questions. The carburetor used on the G749 series is the Holley 885-FFG. Here are some pics of one I ended up rebuilding.

100_2247.jpg100_2248.jpg100_2251.jpg

SturmTyger380

Glad to have you here! Yes we are picture junkies. By the way I live about 3 hours south of you in SC. Don't listen to plowboy he is just plain nuts!! :D Nawh he is good as gold!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to have you here! Yes we are picture junkies. By the way I live about 3 hours south of you in SC. Don't listen to plowboy he is just plain nuts!! :D Nawh he is good as gold!!
I resemble that remark. With me being on the plains, that would be correct......but it's actually plane-nuts. I found that carb the OP was talking about so that's 2 different types we know the repair guru's have tried on these motors. The link is just an "Images" link to the Rochester.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Rochester+7005604&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq8vX26KLMAhWnk4MKHTsiBdcQ_AUICSgD&biw=1400&bih=769

The other carb we found is here

section8  carb 011.jpg

We gotta get this truck rolling. How many M211's have you kids seen on the roads down there?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deep throat size,

Can someone rattle my noodle with a memory or a peak down an intake manifold. Mine are away for a few days.

Is it just a big solo hole? Fuel flows out these two carb holes and finds its way through the single, large hole in the intake, then into the valve that's opening?

The pic above from the book shows a single hole so that could make a guy think it's "single barrel". Just so I'm not feeding horticultural talk to a guy that needs a mechanical brain, could someone back me up, please?

The picture on pg. 191 9-8024 sure looks that way but Wylde and I are chatting on email and I need to be sure.

carb cel 004.jpg