• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Arizona

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey, im Austin. Im fairly new to military vehicles certainly too young to have any experience with them. However I have just gotten my first, being an XM813 5 ton. Its a bit beat up but I hope to get it in good condition and bring it to the local shows.

Thanks you all and I hope to be here and in this hobby for a long time!
Hi Austin!

Let's get you kicked off right into this adventure of Big Green Trucks!
Welcome to the outfit!

Download the Technical Manuals (TM's) for your truck. They will BORE you to death if you sit down and try to read even just one, but it will help for you to thumb through the "-10" version. That is the operators manual for that truck. Tells you the basics. Gets you into the language and what parts are called so it sounds like you know what you are talking about. There will be a complete set of troubleshooting steps in another book and flow charts when something isn't working right.

You are in a good part of the country where several active members from this outfit live. Chances are, it might even be possible to meet a few of them in person. Some pictures should be next. Create yourself a thread in the 5-Ton section and give it a useful name. Say maybe SilverWolf's First 5-Ton MV Build or something like that. Easy to find and explains what's happening in your world. Most times, each upload of images is restricted to 10 images, then string another 10 images in your next post. DON'T WORRY about how it looks! It will get better the more you do - and this ain't a cheap hobby! Do it at your speed and as funds are available... My first wrecker had almost as much rust as paint when I started on it. That has improved over the years and yours will too. Rattle Can paint will cover up a lot as you scrape rust, then later maybe you spray the whole thing. Never know. Just gotta poke and prod and learn...

Write us up something about you and when you might be able to make it to the first show (hoping this dang WooFlu finally is over). There will be ideas offered and suggestions made. Some will make your day. Some might not, but as long as you have a direction charted you will learn a little from everybody here. Pictures. That will be the key when you need help.

Good Hunting and Fixing on your New To You Truck!
Welcome again to the group.

Tim Mullaney

Last edited:

Silverwolfxx2

Hi Austin!

Let's get you kicked off right into this adventure of Big Green Trucks!
Welcome to the outfit!

Download the Technical Manuals (TM's) for your truck. They will BORE you to death if you sit down and try to read even just one, but it will help for you to thumb through the "-10" version. That is the operators manual for that truck. Tells you the basics. Gets you into the language and what parts are called so it sounds like you know what you are talking about. There will be a complete set of troubleshooting steps in another book and flow charts when something isn't working right.

You are in a good part of the country where several active members from this outfit live. Chances are, it might even be possible to meet a few of them in person. Some pictures should be next. Create yourself a thread in the 5-Ton section and give it a useful name. Say maybe SilverWolf's First 5-Ton MV Build or something like that. Easy to find and explains what's happening in your world. Most times, each upload of images is restricted to 10 images, then string another 10 images in your next post. DON'T WORRY about how it looks! It will get better the more you do - and this ain't a cheap hobby! Do it at your speed and as funds are available... My first wrecker had almost as much rust as paint when I started on it. That has improved over the years and yours will too. Rattle Can paint will cover up a lot as you scrape rust, then later maybe you spray the whole thing. Never know. Just gotta poke and prod and learn...

Write us up something about you and when you might be able to make it to the first show (hoping this dang WooFlu finally is over). There will be ideas offered and suggestions made. Some will make your day. Some might not, but as long as you have a direction charted you will learn a little from everybody here. Pictures. That will be the key when you need help.

Good Hunting and Fixing on your New To You Truck!
Welcome again to the group.

Tim Mullaney
Thank you! I have gotten the manuals and joined the local groups, and with the help of my father got my first truck, currently just working on all the things a truck that hadn't done much for years would need, hardly got home before a brake line went out on us but we were just pulling into the backyard when that happened. Otherwise its a good truck, ill make sure to clean up the rust and paint it as time goes on. otherwise thanks for the welcome!
And of course ill get pictures eventually!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you! I have gotten the manuals and joined the local groups, and with the help of my father got my first truck, currently just working on all the things a truck that hadn't done much for years would need, hardly got home before a brake line went out on us but we were just pulling into the backyard when that happened. Otherwise its a good truck, ill make sure to clean up the rust and paint it as time goes on. otherwise thanks for the welcome!
And of course ill get pictures eventually!
Glad you have help! If you and dad can work on it together it will be a lot more fun.

BestPrez45

Hey, im Austin. Im fairly new to military vehicles certainly too young to have any experience with them. However I have just gotten my first, being an XM813 5 ton. Its a bit beat up but I hope to get it in good condition and bring it to the local shows.

Thanks you all and I hope to be here and in this hobby for a long time!
Howdy Austin, James here in PHX/Casa Grande area. I'm new to the ownership of Military vehicles as well. (hopefully if the EUC clears) will be bringing home a M1123 HMMWV in a week or two. I'm currently searching the forums for answers to the hundreds of questions I have. This looks to be a great community for support and eventually getting out to events. Good luck with the 5ton.

Silverwolfxx2

Well I must apologize for disappearing but ill put an update on what I've done in the past few months for you all.

I've changed all the fluids and filters
Fixed most air or electrical issues
Broke the turn signal and am now in the process of fixing it
Replaced the Injection pump
Replaced Fuel sending Unit
Upgraded to super singles
Got a hard top
replaced parking brake pads
replaced oil lines

What's planned:
Clean
Paint
replace belts
find a way to get the spare in and out of the truck

And because I failed to get you these picture previously here is a before and after for these few months

20220207_154939.jpg

IMG_20220624_162616_5.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks