• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'New' member from IA

ALAV

Hello everyone. I joined a long time ago, but never really did anything with the account. Getting a CDL got me back onto the 'I should get a 5 ton for fun' train, so I'm here again trying to figure out just what I'd actually be getting myself into. Figured I'd say hi while I'm poking around.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello right back at you, from Maryland.

If your jumping in and getting a MV, all you need is the will to put in time on repairs/maintenance, read the TM's, do research, ask questions and have FUN!

Oh yeah, I forgot, a bucket full of money, then your good. :p

Good luck.

Tom.

ALAV

Hello right back at you, from Maryland.

If your jumping in and getting a MV, all you need is the will to put in time on repairs/maintenance, read the TM's, do research, ask questions and have FUN!

Oh yeah, I forgot, a bucket full of money, then your good. :p

Good luck.

Tom.
Research is the biggest part right now. I need to decide if I really do want a 5 ton, which one I want, and how you even register one in Iowa. I'll worry about maintenance when I figure those things out.

Part of me says if I'm getting a big truck I should really go for it and get a HEMMT, but I haven't lost my sanity yet.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! Yes, Sir, it is important to weigh your options. There are many things to consider. Are you interested in the older style trucks, or the more modern variants? Each one has pros and cons. For me, the older trucks, with a purely mechanical setup are easier to understand, and diagnose. I get lost in the world of sensors and gizmos on more modern vehicles. It all just depends on your personal skill set and preferences.
Don't hesitate to ask questions on here. This site is packed with good people who have years of experience in driving and working on MVs. And they are eager to help new members. Good luck with your decision!

ALAV

Welcome to the site! Yes, Sir, it is important to weigh your options. There are many things to consider. Are you interested in the older style trucks, or the more modern variants? Each one has pros and cons. For me, the older trucks, with a purely mechanical setup are easier to understand, and diagnose. I get lost in the world of sensors and gizmos on more modern vehicles. It all just depends on your personal skill set and preferences.
Don't hesitate to ask questions on here. This site is packed with good people who have years of experience in driving and working on MVs. And they are eager to help new members. Good luck with your decision!
I do prefer the older style trucks. I'm not a big fan of the cab over design for both looks and engine maintenance. However, my understanding is that the parts keep getting harder to find, so I might end up with a 5 ton FMTV. It's too bad I couldn't get one of the new A2 models. Or maybe I'll get an LMTV. Or maybe I'll get the automatic only restriction taken off my CDL and get an old multi fuel. Or maybe...

Of course, this is all assuming that you can even register one in Iowa without having to get a DOT number or whatever other crap. They already told me it has to be registered commercial due to the GVWR, but that may or may not be true. So many things to look into.

mmurphy001

Research is the biggest part right now. I need to decide if I really do want a 5 ton, which one I want, and how you even register one in Iowa. I'll worry about maintenance when I figure those things out.

Part of me says if I'm getting a big truck I should really go for it and get a HEMMT, but I haven't lost my sanity yet.
This thread has some good info on registering in Iowa. Make sure you read all the replies I got. TL;DR Bonded Title.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks