• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Indiana

windrac

Hey everybody,

About two years ago I was gifted two M35 Standard trucks. I want to get them both running and roadworthy, but I'm focusing on one at a time. Both gassers.

The first is nearly done (mechanically) except brakes, which I am doing right now. It's getting the full Korean War restoration as a troop carrier. Sat in a barn untouched for 30 years. Engine was locked up but I got 'er free and it runs GREAT!

The second I haven't touched, but the engine isn't locked up so how bad can it be? ;) It's getting converted from a troop carrier to a mobile command post. It will be used as a mobile radio and RADAR station (yes, I am putting an active doppler weather RADAR on the roof!).

Looking forward to contributing. Thanks all
(y)

ToddJK

Hey everybody,

About two years ago I was gifted two M35 Standard trucks. I want to get them both running and roadworthy, but I'm focusing on one at a time. Both gassers.

The first is nearly done (mechanically) except brakes, which I am doing right now. It's getting the full Korean War restoration as a troop carrier. Sat in a barn untouched for 30 years. Engine was locked up but I got 'er free and it runs GREAT!

The second I haven't touched, but the engine isn't locked up so how bad can it be? ;) It's getting converted from a troop carrier to a mobile command post. It will be used as a mobile radio and RADAR station (yes, I am putting an active doppler weather RADAR on the roof!).

(y)

Welcome to the site! Lots of resources here including the TM's and various threads on many repairs and restorations. One thing you forgot though, we need pictures! Can't tease us about the trucks and don't provide any pictures!! Lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey everybody,

(y)
Welcome to the Outfit! So, we have suggested pictures. I am there too. Picture us please!
TM's (Technical Manuals) have been suggested. Free Download. A little light reading if you have a sleepless night.

I suggest that you offer up a city and state in your profile.
That is a requirement to be here.
Please and Thank You.

Again, welcome to the group!

windrac

Welcome to the Outfit! So, we have suggested pictures. I am there too. Picture us please!
TM's (Technical Manuals) have been suggested. Free Download. A little light reading if you have a sleepless night.

I suggest that you offer up a city and state in your profile.
That is a requirement to be here.
Please and Thank You.

Again, welcome to the group!

Thanks! City and state updated.

So pictures: I'm not a huge picture guy (unfortunately - I think making how-to videos would be useful but I just don't have the time!) but here are a few of the first deuce - the one I'm restoring to Korean War vintage.

The truck started life at Fort Benjamin-Harrison. After it was retired it was purchased by a local airport (I believe KMQJ) and used as an on-ramp fire truck. This is why it is painted ARFF yellow. When MQJ sold it, it was purchased by the father of a friend of the family, who always intended to restore it but never had the time, so it sat covered in a pole barn out of the elements for 25 years. He passed away a couple of years ago, and his son gifted me the two trucks. I'll make another post on the second truck later.

First picture is Day #1 just after I pressure washed it.

Second picture is about a week ago of me using it in the woods to haul some parts back to home base.

Still a long way to go - but MILES better than it was when I got it!

Deuce 1 Post-Wash.jpg

Deuce 1 Woods.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! City and state updated.

So pictures: I'm not a huge picture guy (unfortunately - I think making how-to videos would be useful but I just don't have the time!) but here are a few of the first deuce - the one I'm restoring to Korean War vintage.

The truck started life at Fort Benjamin-Harrison. After it was retired it was purchased by a local airport (I believe KMQJ) and used as an on-ramp fire truck. This is why it is painted ARFF yellow. When MQJ sold it, it was purchased by the father of a friend of the family, who always intended to restore it but never had the time, so it sat covered in a pole barn out of the elements for 25 years. He passed away a couple of years ago, and his son gifted me the two trucks. I'll make another post on the second truck later.

First picture is Day #1 just after I pressure washed it.

Second picture is about a week ago of me using it in the woods to haul some parts back to home base.

Still a long way to go - but MILES better than it was when I got it!

View attachment 871620

View attachment 871622
Seems to be pretty fantastic to me! Yeah, the color is a bit ugly, but since it runs paint is a small thing. AND it does have history in that color... Chances are that you won't lose it in the woods painted in Arff Yellow.

ROFLPIMP.png

Thanks for the update too!

windrac

Seems to be pretty fantastic to me! Yeah, the color is a bit ugly, but since it runs paint is a small thing. AND it does have history in that color... Chances are that you won't lose it in the woods painted in Arff Yellow.

View attachment 871623

Thanks for the update too!
No kidding! Right now I have all the wood off of the bed (cutting new boards) and I took an M18 cutoff wheel and cut out a bunch of rust spots. Currently fabricating patch panels to weld in, and then it will be ready for sanding and primer.

Only part I have had a hard time finding shockingly is the exhaust manifold gasket. It was leaking so I pulled the manifold off and used a surface grinder to flatten the mating surface on the manifold... but can't find gaskets now. Might have to fabricate some if I can't find any...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks