• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from New Orleans.

zemmy

New member from New Orleans, before registering I used this site to gain a lot of information

and today it looks like I just bought a 93 harsco M923A2 from GL at Pineville LA sight unseen.

Cant wait to go recover her.

Any one else going to recover a vehicle from that location?

Im sure i'll be asking a ton questions, so thanks in advance.

Welcome to SS, this is the happiest place on earth! As you already know the knowledge here is second to none. Get familiar with your vehicles Technical Manuals and you will be ready to go.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

There is a member in Alex that could be a back up to you. Let me try to find his info.
I have picked up at Ft. Polk but I have no experience at Pineville. Meet need to bring fresh batteries in case no one will slave you. Mine was dead but they slaved it for me twice from 2 different vehicles.

PM me if you want to see mine (Metairie) to get familiar with the beast.

zemmy

Welcome!

There is a member in Alex that could be a back up to you. Let me try to find his info.
I have picked up at Ft. Polk but I have no experience at Pineville. Meet need to bring fresh batteries in case no one will slave you. Mine was dead but they slaved it for me twice from 2 different vehicles.

PM me if you want to see mine (Metairie) to get familiar with the beast.
Side note: Who insured you MV? I'm having trouble finding coverage.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
your love that truck. i picked up one from fort polk 3 months ago. you will love that a2. pineville is not that far but they dont offer much help. its out in the woods. bring a small generator and a air compressor as the tires most likely will be down and dont rely on your compressor on the truck. bring batteries and dont rely on a jump to make it home. sometimes there are no batteries. and dont worry about any tools left on that truck someone else will take care of them for you.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ss member who lives in Pineville is "Broke Down" .

I use Gulfway in Fl 1-800-940-5010. They issue a a collector's choice policy from traveler's. $280 year, $300,000 limit, 10K agreed value of truck, no garage provision and I think 4-6K ? miles a year. State farm absolutely refused me as a 30 year family customer.

zemmy

juanprado-Thanks, ended getting coverage with GEICO. Geico was real easy to work with, had to get a commercial policy because of the weight. I tried Gulfway but the advised it could only be driven for parades or car shows.

timntrucks-What type of batteries did you go with?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the policy again and mine does not have mileage limits. Gulfway must use different companies to underwrite? The cover reads "commercial Insurance" so maybe it is not just a collector's policy from travelers? What did Geico charge?

The trucks use military 6tl batteries. They are pricey but available at NAPA and interstate. Others will fit but the hold downs is not designed for them. Many here use group 31 or 2 4d batteries. Personally, I would keep the 6tl so the cables and hold down work as designed and the right height as the battery box under the seat is a bear to work on and I am leary of the batteries jumping up and hitting the lid as these trucks can buck like a bronco. More $ but worth it in my mind. Not an area I wanted to short cut.

Best of luck and post pictures.

zemmy

Picked up the truck yesterday and upon inspection it was in running condition. The only item that needed immediate attention was two low tires. Batteries(4-hawker) were good and the truck fired right up. CTIS was not working so I unplugged that. Fuel gauge was jumping so some type of short there, trans temp not working and battery gauge was filled with moisture but was operational. Left Pineville with an hour and began a slow trip back to Belle Chasse @260 miles. Driving the truck; Good power, brakes were great, trans shifted fine but the truck operated its best between 40-45 mph. After 7 hours of driving(averaged 10.2 mpg) made it home with no issues, except turn signals did not work.

Checked out all fluids after it sat all night, everything good, no leaks.

The one thing I did notice is that the engine is very cold natured, it took a while to get to temp.

I cant wait to start restoring.

erixun

Welcome to the forum and the madness! Fuel gauge hopefully is nothing more than a loose contact nut, throw some diesel kleen in the tank and maybe it will also clean your contacts up a little. That is good mileage for a M923- I only averaged about 7mpg on my recovery. But on another note.... this thread is lacking--- IT NEEDS SOME PICS!:p :popcorn:

dikwks

But on another note.... this thread is lacking--- IT NEEDS SOME PICS!:razz: :popcorn:

Yeah, Yeah, what he said. But even without pix, I'm already jealous. Congratulations!:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks